Lower Congaree

Never fished down closer to marion before… wondering if anyone had any advice on when they start coming up, areas to look for or fish, or any other helpful advice. I thought about putting in at low falls, but wasn’t sure if it was worth it.

We usually fish from 77 up, but I’m eager to get out and get one soon.

I USUALLY FISH 1-3 MILES UP AND DOWN FROM THE 601 BRIDGE AND 5-7 MILES UP THE WATEREE STARTING LATE MARCH DEPENDING ON THE EARLY SPRING RAINS…NICE LANDING AT BRIDGE IF WATER ISN’T TOOOO HIGH !!!

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

George, can you tell me a little more about how to fish the lower Congaree/ Wateree for stripers. I’ve been there a couple of time with my grandson with mixed results. Mostly catfish although we were targeting stripers with live bait.
Thanks,
Harry Johnson
MAD volunteer surf captain

quote:
Originally posted by hjohnson101

George, can you tell me a little more about how to fish the lower Congaree/ Wateree for stripers. I’ve been there a couple of time with my grandson with mixed results. Mostly catfish although we were targeting stripers with live bait.
Thanks,
Harry Johnson
MAD volunteer surf captain

Dont waste your time…there is no good striper fishing in the congaree anymore…:frowning_face:

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

I never fished the lower Congaree, but years ago, used to fish from downtown to Eastman every spring throwing bucktails.

We would drift and cast to the bank to find them and then stop and work a spot even if we just picked up one. Try it a short time and then move on.

The most important thing with the bucktails is to keep them near the bottom. You want to cast up current and slowly bounce it back to the boat. Once it gets slightly down river from the boat, crank it in and cast up current again. You will loose a couple, but it literally can make the difference between a boatload and a skunk.

Lots of people fish live bait down there too. I remember seeing quite a few throwing them out on the bottom on the deeper holes around the outside of bends in the river.

And if you really get lucky, sometimes, usually late in the evening, you will see them chasing bait. Ive never really seen them “school” breaking water like you would on the lake, but bait will be flying out of the water as they chase them toward the bank. Usually on the shallow water on the inside of a bend in the river. Its a sight to see!

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki