lowrance structure scan worth the $$?

I have a Lowrance HDS 5 w/ an airmar transducer and bottom fish 60-110’ offshore. So, far I have been pleased with the device. I am now kicking around the idea of adding the Structure scan module to locate more/ better live bottom. I found plenty of reviews for shallow freshwater use but not much on offshore use. I am worried that rolling seas may affect the image quality. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this device? Thanks -

“Czechmate”
Key West 20/20 CC
150 Johnson

Granted my use of it has been limited, that’s what you get buying a boat at the end of the season and during hunting season but, I really like the SS on my HDS. It picks up a lot more than the sonar does.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Chop on the water does definitely effect the picture, you can adjust the settings to allow for slight “waves” but it will effect it nonetheless. As far as offshore goes, SS would not hurt you, in fact once you get over the learning curve of reading and interpreting it, it will definitely aid in finding bottom structure. However, to say it will find stuff that a regular sonar will not is a stretch. The main advantage is time saved when looking, you simply cover three times as much ground with SS. Again, 90% of how much advantage it will be is dependent on your ability to use it and interpret it, but this applies to a regular sonar just the same. You also may not want to drop the dime on SS until you have a larger unit, it will be very difficult to read split screen side view on a 5 in unit. JMO

Thanks for the input.

“Czechmate”
Key West 20/20 CC
150 Johnson

love mine works great, well worth the money

26’ Twinvee Cat
Twin Suzuki 175’s
www.creeksidemetalworks.com