LP5 in the Duramax

Share your thoughts, please.

6k miles on mine and running strong.

NN

Had one that kept throwing codes and running like crap. After several returns to dealer and several replaced parts, they put in a new set of injectors. Night and day in power and running. 25K on it and no further issues. Check out some chevy forums and the BD throttle Sensitivity Booster. Takes away the “mushy” pedal feel. Makes it much more responsive. Other than that I wouldn’t look to many mods until warranty is out. Pulls like a raped ape. We’ve got a pre DEF truck and deleted EGR and put a programer on it. Gained massive power and fuel milage. No smoke.

Thanks for the reply, Fred. They really jacked up the HP and torque on this release.

Planning to keep for quite some time so I purchased the 7/70k mile warranty at purchase, as I have a company truck to drive, so shouldn’t outrun the warranty on the mileage side to soon.

Leadenwahs post about the Nissan has me thinking about MODS, :sunglasses::sunglasses:.

Can still get extended warranty money back, or most of it if I decide to, gotta decide soon.

NN

It really amazes me what a simple tune on Ford, Chevy, and Dodge diesels can do! I like the new functional ram air that Chevy has added.

Check into this, I dont think you’ll be disappointed. Easy to remove if you have to go in for any warranty work.

https://www.americantrucks.com/pedal-commander-throttle-response-controller-0718-silverado-1500.html

Go a little further with a few hard parts and it really gets impressive. My brother just did a few mods on his Dodge 6.7 and other being a little too loud it has given him 8mpg more on the highway and silly strong.

Thanks, doesn’t appear to be for the LP5 6.6L tho.
And Yes, do like the addition of the air ram. Functional and looks great.

NN

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Thanks, doesn’t appear to be for the LP5 6.6L tho.
And Yes, do like the addition of the air ram. Functional and looks great.

NN

Let me see if I can find the box and part number… it is on an LP5 3500.

Thanks

NN

You had to purchase a 70k mile warranty on a diesel?

Had new injectors installed in mine this summer, also went with the 5" exaust the under cab duel feul filter and the air systym and a # 5 tunner. Other than the cost of the injectors the $ wasn’t bad. It runs like a scalded dog now! You have to pull the heads to change injectors on the duramax

Get the extended warranty money back and delete that thing, only issues with that motor are from the DEF and emissions crap. A full delete and those trucks get 24mpg and it brings them to life!

So the L5P is now able to be tuned?

Pioneer 222SF

quote:
Originally posted by high life

So the L5P is now able to be tuned?

Pioneer 222SF

You can get a tune, but not sure who is offering a kit to delete egr and DEF system on that engine? Even though emissions still meet EPA regs and it will get better mileage and performance… it is illegal to do. So I’m sure no one on this sight has done such. :wink: We are fortunate in SC as opposed to many states.

Old boy in Florida has a speed shop and was doing a lot of deletes and was a turned in by a local “friend”. He was visited and taken promptly to Jail with some huge fines pending right now. Seems the EPA has been pushing back on this stuff, and vendors selling smog deleting kits.

Check out this article.

www.hardworkingtrucks.com/special-report-dpf-deletes/

Those stupid DPF’s are the main reason I haven’t bit the bullet on a newer Cummins yet. I doubt seriously I would work it hard enough other than 3 or 4 times a year. Ill probably wind up going with the big gas engine when I do buy me a new truck.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Installed the Banks big hoss bundle on my LB7 back in the day, blew the doors off many sports cars and it pulled my gooseneck like a jon boat. Was leery because of the tuner, and that’s what eventually forced me to sell. About 4 years after install truck started to go crazy electronically, automatic door lock would lock/unlock while driving, seat heater would engage by itself , most frustrating was fuse blowing to cabin lights at any given moment. Loved that truck, but wished I never would have added the after market kit.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Big-Hoss-Bundles-s/109.htm

quote:
Originally posted by poke salad

Installed the Banks big hoss bundle on my LB7 back in the day, blew the doors off many sports cars and it pulled my gooseneck like a jon boat. Was leery because of the tuner, and that’s what eventually forced me to sell. About 4 years after install truck started to go crazy electronically, automatic door lock would lock/unlock while driving, seat heater would engage by itself , most frustrating was fuse blowing to cabin lights at any given moment. Loved that truck, but wished I never would have added the after market kit.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Big-Hoss-Bundles-s/109.htm

Stay away from banks and bulldog.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Thanks for the reply, Fred. They really jacked up the HP and torque on this release.

Planning to keep for quite some time so I purchased the 7/70k mile warranty at purchase, as I have a company truck to drive, so shouldn’t outrun the warranty on the mileage side to soon.

Leadenwahs post about the Nissan has me thinking about MODS, :sunglasses::sunglasses:.

Can still get extended warranty money back, or most of it if I decide to, gotta decide soon.

NN

SEND IT!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs

You had to purchase a 70k mile warranty on a diesel?

Debated that, and decided to go with it. Have purchased on two other vehicles in past and it paid off on both. None of the repairs were engine related. Gamble for sure…

Highlife, with limited searching thus far, haven’t found any tunes for it.

Thanks for the input folks.

NN