Macedonia Church Rd./Dreher Is. Area Living?

Question for those that live or have lived in this area. We are looking at moving out to some property in the near future with little ones and just wondered any pros/cons to the area short of the drive to get to major shopping and entertainment.

We are looking at Macedonia Church Rd. about 5 minutes north of the lake. Little Mountain ES, and Mid Carolina MS/HS. We want to be able to enjoy our home and property with lots of things to do as a family. Animals, ATVs, fishing/hunting, golf but still be close enough to general necessities. This seems similar to how I grew up being 30 minutes from Myrtle Beach. We had everything we wanted near home, but could get to a nice area 2-3 times a month as needed. Keep in mind I will be working and driving through the Harbison area a lot so can easily grab things as needed.

Is it bad living that far away from things, is it an untapped paradise that a lot of people don’t give a chance and stay in crowded in suburbs and large elementary schools? Curious to hear some thoughts on the area.

I know my winter Striper fishing will increase greatly. :slight_smile:

i grew up on macedonia rd (off living inn rd), still have the house. It is definitely not close to any grocery store. there is a gas station/convenience store on state park rd called the Station 2. they carry a good selection of general grocery items, in case you just need to grab some ketchup or bread etc. they are also super nice people, youll get to know them on a first name basis. but other than that, its an amazing place to grow up and live. everyone i know out there is super nice and willing to lend a hand if need be. after 30 years, i cant think of a single crime that has happened out there(im sure there has been, just not that i know of). and youre right, your winter striper fishing will be right at your back door.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

I guess what I meant was, there is a Publix 10 miles away and that is how I grew up. We lived out in the country on HWY 905 and it took 15 minutes just to get to Conway for groceries, library, mail, Middle/High school, etc. We had repair shops and gas stations around the corner but had to drive 15 minutes for most things, and 30 for any real restaurants, movies, shopping, etc.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

yeah that’s pretty much what youre getting on macedonia, i dont even think there are any repair shops in the area.

Proline 201WA

That’s ok, Chapin will do.

Any grumblings about utilities, taxes, etc.?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

there are some “neighborhoods” in the area that have a shared well, i’d stay away from those if you can. our house before the one on living inn rd, and my in-laws house were on a shared well. they had terrible water pressure, always had a boil advisory because of work being done on them, and high water bills.

Proline 201WA

Thanks, this one has public water/Sewer and Natural Gas at the road.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

that’s high living out there :sunglasses:

Proline 201WA

My parents have a small lake house on dreher island rd and i have a lot family in that area. It’s a good area and a sportsman paradise. Close to the lake and rivers. Lots of places to hunt too. Even though I grew up in Columbia, this is where I consider home. If you work in Columbia, prepare to sit on 26 though

“There is nothing better we can do for our future than to teach our children well”
Cracker Larry

I already travel I26 to downtown from Irmo, rarely have to sit. The congestion starts from all the Lexington folks coming in. If you bypass most of I26 down Broad River Rd. and come in at St Andrews you miss all of that mess. Now if there is a major wreck it will clog up all the side roads as well.

It’s nothing like Lexington though. I wouldn’t live there unless the land was half the price. Unfortunately it is twice.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I used to live about 30 minutes from “town” up on Lookout Mountain. We went to town 2-3 times a week, so we just made sure we got what we needed when we were in town. Stock up on essentials and every now and then just do without something you want but don’t need if you run out. It’s good to keep an ice chest in the truck in case you aren’t going straight home from the grocery store. We got pretty good at keeping a list of “must haves” for our next run to town.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

About the only other drawback is when the power goes out. It usually takes a bit longer to get power back on in the “sticks” during bad weather, especially snow and ice. I’d suggest an alternate heat source and a small generator. I’ve also got an inverter that I can hook up to my deep cycle batteries. It’ll run our dish and TV for several hours per battery and recharge our cel phones.

Thanks, will have natural gas fireplaces and if they allow it solar panels that can work when the grid is down. Probably a few generators, but probably won’t do the whole house generac thing unless I can get it setup during construction at a good deal.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

good point spoon, i remember being without power for a week multiple times when ice storms would come through. we cooked cans of beanies and weanies on top of the wall mounted NG heater.

Proline 201WA