Making sure I saw what i thought I saw

I don’t disagree. Personally, while I think it’s cool to have such visibility, I would never employ a drone to find fish. That said, finding them still isn’t catching them.

You could pose the same philosophical question about fish finders and functionality like Panoptics and Lowrance’s LiveSight (coming soon). How much is too much? Again, if we were talking about a tournament/competition environment, I can definitely see the unfair advantage and I would hope the governing body of said tournament would prohibit the use of drones, both during the practice period and during the tournament. As it is, there’s no such thing as a competitive or unfair advantage in a non-competition setting. Besides, even if someone uses a drone to find fish and they are able to catch them as well, they still have to adhere the same size and creel limit as everyone else. So they’re able to find fish, catch their limit and be back home before the rest of us. Who cares? Personally, that’s their loss if that’s all that matters to them. Part of my goal when I go fishing is to simply enjoy my time on the water. Truth be told, more times than not I’m C&R fishing anyway. Yes, I make the drag from Lexington for little more than a stretch on the line. Sure, sometimes I’ll invite a few fish home for dinner but that’s more the exception than the rule.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

Pretty cool on the drone work and being the “ sportsman”. Not many could resist that urge to “ get their limit “.

NO ONE on this forum doesn’t have a FISH FINDER WITH GPS on their boats and is willing to give it up. Drone away I say if you want to and can afford it.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

kudzu56, that top pic is awesome! I’m very conflicted over this drone thing. On one hand, I agree with Optiker and FlickerFisher that solving the “puzzle” of fish behavior is half the fun of fishing. I like to study old notes, weather patterns, time of year, etc. to predict where fish may be. Then after lots of searching, finally getting satisfaction from finding fish at a place and tide where I thought they would be.

On the other hand, I have to confess to being a Google Earth junkie. I don’t get on the water much these days. But, I love “armchair fishing”, studying imagery looking for signs of fish, locations of rips, promising oyster bars, etc. A drone, if I could afford one, would be like “Google Earth Live”.

My fear is that not everyone would protect the resource like kudzu56.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

I get what you’re saying, spec, but even if people use a drone to find fish, they still have to adhere to the same size/creel limits as everyone else. What’s the difference in a guy going home with his limit of two slots reds after hours of searching for them and a guy going home with his limit of two slot reds after finding them with a drone and catching them in a matter of minutes?, as it pertains to “protecting the resource?”

The notion that it somehow spoils the purity of fishing is laughable when you consider anyone here that owns a boat has at least one electronic “fish finder” with down scan/side scan/live imaging and GPS functionality mounted on their boat. I know I’ve personally used my electronics to find that “spot within a spot” in some areas I fish. Why is using them not seen as lessening the fishing experience or somehow detrimental the purity of fishing? I just think it’s being blown out of proportion.

FWIW, I don’t own a drone or even know someone that owns a drone so one isn’t, and never will be, a part of my fishing arsenal.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

You make good sense, Bang, but it’s not those that we should be concerned with, It’s those that will exploit it’s use. As in locating and running limits back and forth to a drop off point or just taking the chance with a livewell full.

Drones are getting cheaper all the time. Just a drop in the bucket when you consider all the costs of boats, and everything else that comes along with it.

Unfortunately, technology has both helped and hurt. Such as this internet thingy.

Just my .02.

NN

You make good sense, Bang, but it’s not those that we should be concerned with, It’s those that will exploit it’s use. As in locating and running limits back and forth to a drop off point or just taking the chance with a livewell full.

Drones are getting cheaper all the time. Just a drop in the bucket when you consider all the costs of boats, and everything else that comes along with it.

Unfortunately, technology has both helped and hurt. Such as this internet thingy.

Just my .02.

NN

Good discussion.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

I personally think it’s pretty cool to take pictures of the fish in their habitat, and a good thing about the drone is taking pictures and making art work for the man cave. Just like going hunting and taking pictures of the wildlife without killing a thing. I have the same feelings as most of you, don’t use the drone for an unfair advantage.

Double D.

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Just my .02.

NN

Those that would use a drone to “exploit its use” are more than likely already the types of people that are already acting outside of the rules and regs. A new tool, if you will, isn’t what would bring about the mindset to break the rules. That mindset pre-existed the “new tool.” A new safe cracking tool wouldn’t turn someone into a bank robber. They would’ve already had a bank robbers mentality.