March for Science

quote:
Originally posted by xman

For those who assail the character of all scientists, based on the flaws of the few.

Are all auto mechanics thieves?
Are all laywers shysters?
Are all priests pedophiles?
Are all actors egotists?
Are all southerners racist?
Are all northerners arrogant?
You see a trend here?

For over the past 20 years, I have been a scientist, and worked with countless others. I’ve interacted with literally thousands at various conferences and meetings across the US. I’ve written and reviewed grants. I’ve published peer-reviewed articles, and have been a peer-reviewer. In my experiences, I’ve yet to run into one, who has, or would, fudge their data for the sake of money or fame. I recognize that this may be meaningless to those who mind in made up, but it really is close minded (and wrong) to make assumptions about all scientists, based on what you have heard in the media.

I’m not that it has not happened, or will not happen again, but I would rather follow the findings and recommendations of scientists, than armchair/internet/media hacks.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

your post is a very interesting read. I would like to discuss some points about it - but not from a contrarian point of view, but from curiosity. During my time at Wake Forest I took the expected courses on religion, Once I did a report on "Religion for profit" I researched everything I could find on all the TV faith healers of the day - The results were incredible. Almost Every one was guilty of ostentatious living , Multitudes of sins - mostly lies & sins of the flesh, and generally deceiving their followers, with the exception of Robert H Schuller and Billy Graham, But even Graham had a partner with issues - Google Charles Templeton. My work on this report revealed that a majority of the

Thank you xman.
Peapod, I’m a 6

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

No you’re not

quote:
Originally posted by xman

For those who assail the character of all scientists, based on the flaws of the few.

I don’t think anyone here has assailed the character of all scientists. I’ve actually stated that I’m impressed by scientists and love the unbiased work they do.

What you are missing is the media and left swinging people using the rogue scientist to further their agenda.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

So a massive majority of climate scientists are rogue scientists?

I would have loved to have gone to this one

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/ive-seen-smarter-cabinets-at-ikea?utm_term=.egvBdgJWo#.djqzXpPqk

I suspect that most climate scientist “try” to be in-biased, but the human factor is there. … For instance , Remember when the SAFMC was considering the massive MPA’s we have all over ? Holly Bins with PEW was so invested in what she was doing that there was NOTHING that could sway her. She told me that I should give up fishing and take up bowling If one scientist said the wrong thing , she would trot out one that would contradict. A huge issue is the media that’s so biased that they scientist shop. The CC movement would do well to avoid trotting out the extremist and especially ones like Bill Nye that gives me the impression of a children show host.-- Oh that’s right - he was!- The truth might work best in this case. Just remember that the people were told all these wild predictions that never came true. The CC movement has created a huge body of doubters with the failed predictions

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

Fred…unlike politics and individuals with personal agendas…the tenets of science rely on reproducibility and peer review. Facts are established when findings or results from individual experiments are reproduced, published and expanded upon over and over. It’s not a case of one scientist saying this is a fact because this is what I found with my study.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

You, Sir, are correct in your assertion that the establishment of a theory as fact requires that the work be reproducible.

However, unfortunately for your position, “according to a survey published in the journal Nature last summer, more than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist’s experiments” - http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39054778?SThisFB If you go read the report, you’ll find that climate science is one of the worst offenders. This isn’t a Trumpster doing the survey and report. It is the journal itself. And, Nature is no climate skeptic.

Ergo, your assertion that climate science is fact because it is reproducible and peer-reviewed holds no weight. Climate science can make no claim of reproducibility. If fact, when the end process of climate science (models) produce their end product (predictions), Mother Nature proves them wrong. If you or anyone else believes in SCIENCE you would recognize actual data as the proof that the models are useless, at this point.

quote:
Human involvement in climate change has been repeatedly corroborated, it is not based upon one scientist beliefs. If scientific facts conflict with individual's beliefs, the facts are not wrong, the individual's beliefs are. I believe the Dalai once said (parap
quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

Fred…unlike politics and individuals with personal agendas…the tenets of science rely on reproducibility and peer review. Facts are established when findings or results from individual experiments are reproduced, published and expanded upon over and over. It’s not a case of one scientist saying this is a fact because this is what I found with my study.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

You, Sir, are correct in your assertion that the establishment of a theory as fact requires that the work be reproducible.

However, unfortunately for your position, “according to a survey published in the journal Nature last summer, more than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist’s experiments” - http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39054778?SThisFB If you go read the report, you’ll find that climate science is one of the worst offenders. This isn’t a Trumpster doing the survey and report. It is the journal itself. And, Nature is no climate skeptic.

Ergo, your assertion that climate science is fact because it is reproducible and peer-reviewed holds no weight. Climate science can make no claim of reproducibility. If fact, when the end process of climate science (models) produce their end product (predictions), Mother Nature proves them wrong. If you or anyone else believes in SCIENCE you would recognize actual data as the proof that the models are useless, at this point.

quote:
Human involvement in climate change has been repeatedly corroborated, it is not based upon one
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

So a massive majority of climate scientists are rogue scientists?

Depends on what they say about our climate. I feel pretty sure no scientist would deny the fact that our Earth will slowly warm up as time marches on, but the ones that say man is 100% the cause of it are rogue in my book. When we have all the variables in and a long time line of accurate information then let’s recheck our research information.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Not a scientist, but, as Fred and many have eluded to, we had an Ice Age that we are still coming out of.

With that said, it seems, to some, that the warming is due to carbon emissions (man made) creating a layer that will not allow heat to escape?? Educate me, perhaps I am out of touch here.

Gonna blast thru that layer of carbon to get to Mars soon. Just wish I could pick who would be on its maiden voyage!

NN

The professionals can’t agree on how many genders there are.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Whuuuuuuuuuuuutttt???

Easy will splain it to you when he gets up from his morning nap

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Not a scientist, but, as Fred and many have eluded to, we had an Ice Age that we are still coming out of.

With that said, it seems, to some, that the warming is due to carbon emissions (man made) creating a layer that will not allow heat to escape?? Educate me, perhaps I am out of touch here.

Gonna blast thru that layer of carbon to get to Mars soon. Just wish I could pick who would be on its maiden voyage!

NN

There is no doubt we are coming out of an ice age and the earth is warming, as it has done for millions of years. The problem is we are heading up at a rate 50 times faster than we should be, 50 times faster!!
Think of greenhouse gases, carbon emissions being one of those gases, as a down blanket that traps heat. Well we’ve put a lot more “down in our blanket”. What do you expect should follow?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

There is agreement on how many sexes there is…two

Gender is not based on genes or physicality it’s more of a subjective term related to behavior, psychology, cultural norms etc…So, yeah there could be lots of different genders.

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission
quote:

NN

There is no doubt we are coming out of an ice age and the earth is warming, as it has done for millions of years. The problem is we are heading up at a rate 50 times faster than we should be, 50 times faster!!
Think of greenhouse gases, carbon emissions being one of those gases, as a down blanket that traps heat. Well we’ve put a lot more “down in our blanket”. What do you expect should follow?

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

When do you think sea level will rise to the point that down town Charleston will be 20’ underwater? Al Gores prediction was missed and I have some property I might need to sell

I believe its going to rise a lot faster than people want to think. There is a tipping point. 32F/0C when ice melts into water. When the poles reach the tipping point water will rise real fast. My opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy
quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission
quote:

NN

When do you think sea level will rise to the point that down town Charleston will be 20’ underwater? Al Gores prediction was missed and I have some property I might need to sell

Weather men are wrong all the time but if 97% of them say a hurricane is coming, I bet your ass is dumb enough to go fishing…

"Those who have the ability to make a difference

Local weather and climate are very different. The alarmist have pointed this out to us many times Except when local weather helps their case.

NONE of the CC or GW predictions from 30 years ago have come true. We can see a hurricane on satellite pics & and pretty accurately predict the path. The 97% number has been shown to have been manipulated and rigged over and over.

Another thing , I believe that you have the right to believe what ever you want, and I will support your free speech, without calling you a “dumb ass” or any other insulting terms. How childish of you!

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I believe its going to rise a lot faster than people want to think. There is a tipping point. 32F/0C when ice melts into water. When the poles reach the tipping point water will rise real fast. My opinion.

Don't forget about altitude.