marking line?

Thought about buying a line counter reel! But I have over 100 reel of differant types but none with line counter, I normaly count down the bait on my rod with 2’ pulls and get right on the spot , but it is slow! I can read some of the baits on my graph but I think it would be quicker to be able to mark your line with a sharpee at 10’ intervuls, anyone tried this! I went out to my driveway and marked off 100’ with a tape and marks at 10’ and marked my line on my jigging reel with mark to corispond with the depth. 1 mark for 10’- 6 marks for 60 and so on, hope it wont wash off to quick! Try tomorrow, will let you know how it works!

Use thread and a nail knot or use one of the premade nailknots

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

Its easier than that. Use a small red rubber band tied to the line every 100’ that will fit through the guides

Thanks Chip, I’ve got a bag of the yellow bobber stoppers somewhere. Natureboy, I’ll try that to, but I need it at 10’marks! When power reel with a big spoon its important to keep it in the zone! We caught them at 80’ last week fished spoon from 90 to 70 worked well. Some on herring but they didn’t live well at that depth! Hard to fish live bait and spoons at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

… I went out to my driveway and marked off 100’ with a tape and marks …at 10’ and marked my line on my jigging reel with mark to corispond with the depth. 1 mark for 10’- 6 marks for 60 and so on, hope it wont wash off to quick! Try tomorrow, will let you know how it works!

Boatpoor, at least for your jigging set up, I would seriously look at buying a reel with a counter even if you sell a couple off that are collecting dust. I just recently purchased one for $50 and wish I would have done it long ago. It’s really nice to be able to constantly know where your at when power reeling without having to watch for tiny knots/perm marker/rubber bands on the line every 10’, especially if you are like me and the eyesight ain’t what it used to be.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

I will say I haven’t tried to target a certain depth in the column. Bottom to the top and repeat… probably 30-40% of my fish have hit 20-30’ under the boat, even if I am marking them 80’+…I have had a couple splash water with their tails when they turn away and swim away…and these were easily keeper size fish.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

Striperskiff, thanks for the insite! My eyes are getting so bad I need my reading glasses on my 12"graph to see the depths! i found one at Cabells for a little over $50, Think I need to sell a Int.80 and buy a few!

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

I will say I haven’t tried to target a certain depth in the column. Bottom to the top and repeat… probably 30-40% of my fish have hit 20-30’ under the boat, even if I am marking them 80’+…I have had a couple splash water with their tails when they turn away and swim away…and these were easily keeper size fish.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

Thanks, I’ll have to give that a try continuing to reel all the way up.

DF90 Suzuki

Found a nice line counter reel at Cabelas in Greenville today for $48 filled it with 20# Stren mono and hooked it to an offshore jigging rod! Hope to find out how it works tomorow at the Hill if it doesn’t thunder and lightning! Made a dozen 7" spoons last night!

I’m with Murraymaker, drop it to the top of trees or at least 10-20’ deeper then the fish. Then reel it up near the surface.
Boatpoor, take some of your butterfly jigs. I find them easier to use because they sink faster. Same technique as offshore.

you can purchase a line depth counter for about $20 from Bass pro or on line. I used to have one made by Berkeley that I used bottom fishing. If I saw snapper at 30’ I could accurately stop the rig there. It mounted on the reel and worked great.

Ya, Reeldawg the butterflys do work well! I’m gon’a dig out some of my old diamond jigs out of my Bertram and some of the jigs I got in Taboago and Costa Rica we used for roosters. They catch a lot of striper off N. J. with the diamonds! Meeting some guys at Modock at 1:00, gota hook up the boat!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Ya, Reeldawg the butterflys do work well! I’m gon’a dig out some of my old diamond jigs out of my Bertram and some of the jigs I got in Taboago and Costa Rica we used for roosters. They catch a lot of striper off N. J. with the diamonds! Meeting some guys at Modock at 1:00, gota hook up the boat!

bp, I’ve always wondered how diamond jigs would do on the lakes. Growing up I’ve caught stripers, blues, cod and pollock on them, but never tried down here. I can’t even recall using any other kind of jig back then.

Let us know if you do anything with them.

DF90 Suzuki

Total bust today, the I pilot would not run, and only small fish were on live bait over the bubbles. Oh well Guess I spend the AM traceing the wires and fuses! Hope that will do it! Never got to try the Diamonds.

sharpie ink is some serious stuff, i would be worried about the ink weakening the line

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson