Mattress Suggestions

We’re in the market. Don’t want to spend $5k on something we’ll regret. Sleep number is out.

Had never heard of this one until last night. The ad is awesome, and the tech looks cool too. A friend owns one and he has back and shoulder problems and this mattress has alleviated that better than sleep number and Tempurpedic did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvwpjaGZCQ

www.onpurple.com

What do you sleep on?

We have been sleeping on an Eclipse memory foam mattress. It took a few nights to get used to it but we love it. It is just like the Tempurpedic but far less expensive. I think ours was around $1,800. I have been looking at reviews of some of the online mattress companies as one of our sons needs a new one. The Casper, Tuft & Needle, Helix and Leesa all intrigue me. They let you try them for 90-100 nights and most if not all ship free and provide free returns if you are unhappy with it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

We have been sleeping on an Eclipse memory foam mattress. It took a few nights to get used to it but we love it. It is just like the Tempurpedic but far less expensive. I think ours was around $1,800. I have been looking at reviews of some of the online mattress companies as one of our sons needs a new one. The Casper, Tuft & Needle, Helix and Leesa all intrigue me. They let you try them for 90-100 nights and most if not all ship free and provide free returns if you are unhappy with it.

Thought we were set on the Casper until I saw this Purple one.

Watch that video, the egg test they do seems to be pretty telling…and it’s at a comparable price point.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

My wife bought a Tempurpedic(4K). CDX plywood is softer. I “sleep” in my Lazyboy and party on the tempurpedic.

Pretty cool demonstration. I hadn’t heard of that brand before. What do you have to lose? Try it for a couple of months, don’t like it ship it back.

Got a pillow top sealy posteropedic from Sears first ten minutes it’s great after that I start sweating and kick off the covers then one sides cold and the other is hot. Wife loves it I hate it, I miss my water bed.

I believe the only way to test a mattress is to sleep on it a few nights.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:

Pretty cool demonstration. I hadn’t heard of that brand before. What do you have to lose? Try it for a couple of months, don’t like it ship it back.

My thoughts exactly…

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

My thoughts exactly…

Wadmalaw native

I read the reviews, a lot of them said you could feel the square pattern on top. That would be enough for my wife to say no. Also it sounds like it's really firm, again a no from the wife.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

this is worse that asking which caliber is best for hunting or what scope to buy

I have a heavenly mattress from Nordstrom, they market the Westin heavenly bed, love it, but I got it thru an employee at a huge discount, don’t think I’d pay retail

i’ve bought 4 other mattresses in the past 5 years for different bedrooms, the things I learned are:

• it’s impossible to compare mattresses by name
  • the same mattress from the same manufacturer has many different names, they don’t want you to be able to price shop
  • you need to learn about coil count, coil size, coil configuration and about the different coverings and pads, that is the only way to compare and price shop
  • go in a store and spend time laying on them and rolling around, find a couple you like and get the specs
  • then go find that brand at another store and match the specs
  • I bought all 4 from a discount place, they were the same product the big retailers sell, big price discount

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

this is worse that asking which caliber is best for hunting or what scope to buy - I asked for suggestions, not which is best, but I understand what youmean
</font id=“red”>

I have a heavenly mattress from Nordstrom, they market the Westin heavenly bed, love it, but I got it thru an employee at a huge discount, don’t think I’d pay retail

i’ve bought 4 other mattresses in the past 5 years for different bedrooms, the things I learned are:

• the same mattress from the same manufacturer has many different names, they don’t want you to be able to price shop - Not sure what that means</font id=“red”>
  • you need to learn about coil count, coil size, coil configuration and about the different coverings and pads, that is the only way to compare and price shop - I don’t care about coil count. I’m abandoning traditional mattress.</font id=“red”>
  • go in a store and spend time laying on them and rolling around, find a couple you like and get the specs - Can’t find one I like, which is why I am considering a mail-order</font id=“red”>
  • I bought all 4 from a discount place, they were the same product the big retailers sell, big price discount - The “same” story from lots of different discount places. Lemme tell you a story about a $400 “discount” vacuum cleaner that turns out was a counterfeit and not covered under warranty</font id=“red”>

Pioneer 197SF

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I’m still torn on what to do.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

this is worse that asking which caliber is best for hunting or what scope to buy - I asked for suggestions, not which is best, but I understand what youmean
</font id=“red”>

• the same mattress from the same manufacturer has many different names, they don’t want you to be able to price shop - Not sure what that means</font id=“red”>
  • you need to learn about coil count, coil size, coil configuration and about the different coverings and pads, that is the only way to compare and price shop - I don’t care about coil count. I’m abandoning traditional mattress.</font id=“red”>
  • go in a store and spend time laying on them and rolling around, find a couple you like and get the specs - Can’t find one I like, which is why I am considering a mail-order</font id=“red”>
  • I bought all 4 from a discount place, they were the same product the big retailers sell, big price discount - The “same” story from lots of different discount places. Lemme tell you a story about a $400 “discount” vacuum cleaner that turns out was a counterfeit and not covered under warranty</font id=“red”>

Pioneer 197SF

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I

We have a knock off tempurpedic and love it. Tried one of the tempurpedic “toppers” and not even close to the same thing IMO

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Hampton and Rhodes which supplies many of the luxury hotels is probably the best bang for the buck. People rave about their mattresses. Think Mattress Firm carries them.

the wife and I just went thru this. we bought the tempurpedic and hated it, returned it in 30 days.

ended up with this set from Sears.

http://www.stearnsandfoster.com/collections/estate

It ain’t as bad as the pig tries to make it sound.

We have a middle of the road temperpedic and love it! The only draw back is that all other mattresses totally suck now! I travel a lot and do not sleep well when away from it. The mattress at my lake house that I used to love, is now garbage.
Temperpedic for me is like going to Venice to redfish and catch tuna. Nothing really to compare it to!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson