Me & the Boy 12-17-22

Yesterday I told him we are going fishing in the morning & he griped a little that it would be cold & a 3 hr drive, blah blah blah. I told him we are going anyway.
Put in around 7am & hit the 1st spot, managed 3 Reds 15.5" to 19". Had several more hook ups but got broken off on the structure. Hit the next spot where I expected to do good but not even a bite & the next spot was the same way. Wind picked up some so moved to a spot I usually always catch something at that was out of the wind but it was early in the tide & didn’t really expect to get anything for a while. Right off the bat we got hit, caught 7 more Reds from 12" to 18" & a Black Drum around 12". We actually left them biting because we had to get back home at a certain time. That was a really good day for us, caught them all on circle hook & split shot with some cut bait my son netted near the ramp & some frozen shrimp.
Did manage to help a couple guys with boat battery problems at the last spot we hit, so my good deed for the day was done.
We stopped at the store down the road & ran into some guys we met at the ramp. I asked how they did & they said really good. I said me too, then I told them what we caught & he said we got around a 100 Trout & 20 some odd Reds. Well, made me realize I STILL SUCK…
We tried artificial but never could get any bites. Not sure if wrong place & time or my technique needs some improvement. I have only had one day that I did good on artificial but they were all undersize Trouts & Reds & I think they were so aggressive that they probably would have bitten the bear hook.

3 Likes

Awesome job of making some special memories!

Thats what its all aboit right there! Great way to spend the day whether its 50 fish day or a skunk. But yea, your boys smile says it was all worth it! Good stuff!

Thanks guys.
He did have a blast.

Somethings money can’t buy…
Spending the day with your kid, PRICELESS…

Y’all remember the MasterCard commercial???

Great report. Happy for you that you were able to spend the day with your boy…

Thanks.
He was excited that he caught bait & then was able to catch some keeper fish with it. It won’t be much longer & he’ll be taking me fishing.

thanks for posting. love seeing memories being made on the water, that right there is why I still take my dad fishing when we can!

ever do “redfish on the half shell” on the grill? I’ve cooked them many, many different ways but I’d highly recommend trying that method if you haven’t. the meals are part of the memories too!

I’ve had them lightly breaded in the air fryer & grilled, both good. Not sure how we going to cook these up.
Cleaned them last night & plan to eat tonight. The whole famiky loves seafood.

Since they’re already cleaned, I’d go broiled and Parmesan/garlic crusted if you want it light, or House Autry breaded and fried, then tossed in buffalo (50:50 Franks:melted butter) if you want more hearty.

Give us a food report!

The Buffalo sounds good, never tried on fish.

Never trust a fisherman when he tells you how many he caught, that’s #1. Don’t feel bad about how you did - you did awesome.

This time of year trout will form into big schools and its absolutely feast or famine. Real easy to get skunked. But the secret is to keep moving and when you find them - its on! A lot of people will slow troll grubs till they catch one. If they are smart they will circle back and fish that area hard.

Don’t be discouraged! The figgering out is the fun part