Memorial Day

quote:
Originally posted by Happy Bob
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Isn’t veteran’s say about who serves and memorial day about those who actually gave their lives? It seems awkward (almost disrespectful)</font id=“red”> to me to thank those who serve\served when the day is about a moment of remembrance to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Just a thought…

skinneej, I meant no disrespect. I just wanted to thank those who served, dead or alive.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Understood. Of course you don't! I don't think anyone means disrespect. I just think that people should remember what the holiday is really about. Again, we already have another holiday that remembers those that serve\have served... There is a reason why it's not called "Veterans Day #1" and "Veterans Day #2"...

There is a reason why it’s now called “Memorial” day. Memorial being something to be remembered. I’m just throwing it out there that the holiday seems to be losing it’s meaning.

But when you’ve seen your buddy beside your head explode in a pink mist, a little bit of you dies with him. And when you’ve seen it more than a few times, you die some more. So thank the ones who are still alive too. It won’t hurt anybody’s feelings.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

But when you’ve seen your buddy beside your head explode in a pink mist, a little bit of you dies with him. And when you’ve seen it more than a few times, you die some more. So thank the ones who are still alive too. It won’t hurt anybody’s feelings.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Amen to that!

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

Ok…so this past weekend while at work caring for the veterans On our unit, we had a small group of them gathered after dinner as they often do and I asked them their thoughts on this and recieved this from a 97 year old World War Two vet who looked at me and said. " Ms Penny… I rightly expect it’s best if you want to thank Me you best go ahead and thank me now cause when I’m gone my hearing will be even worse then it is now". We all laughed at his reasoning and wisdom with him… He went on to say that he had lost many friends and that he too remembered them not just on Memorial Day…but everyday…and missed them greatly…and also said he felt it was nice when people remembered the survivors too. And how much the ceremony some of them had attended meant to him. I understand the point of those who feel we should only remember the ones who didn’t make it or have passed…but will never not take every opportunity I get to thank those who serve and have served while they are still here to know I appreciate all they gave for us…and I will never forget the answer that I recieved that day. Our unit lost one of our World War Two veterans last week…he had been with us for many months… it was a deep loss for the staff , volunteers and the other veterans who reside there. I was honored to have cared for him.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16