Merry Fishmas 2017 (Late Report)

23DEC2017 Day 1: Fished some mud flats on the Edisto River. Wind was rolling good and heavy salt fog coming off the ocean. First time experiencing that. Finished the day with 18 Total fish, was a good mix of reds and trout, biggest red came in at 26”.

24DEC2017: Family day, so you all don’t think I can get away with fishing 8 days in a row without spending some time with the better ones.

25DEC2017 Day 2: Christmas Day - Prefished for a Saturday Tournament launched on the freshwater side of Bushy Park.

The ramp is mostly blocked by another floating island, felt like 20mph non-stop shifting winds, My front graph decided to play select-o-color games (has been repaired twice for this already), guillotined a rod tip, broke the plastic housing of the trolling motor, broke the little guide cover and lost the bracket to the trolling motor foot controls, worst of all missed all 3 bites for a total of two meltdowns and Zero fish.

Probably one of the toughest fishing days I have had in a long time. I guess it was payback for trying to fish Christmas Day. Spent several hours tonight fixing everything.

26DEC2017 Day 3: Back to the Edisto trying to redeem myself. Looking for some easy fish went back to the flats I had fished Day 1, deployed trolling motor only to find out when the plastic housing broke it also eliminated forward.

I spent the rest of the day trolling the flats in revers

Now this is what you call a great report! Thanks for the details and the pics to go along with them all! I can appreciate the trials and tribulations it takes to keep things functional in a boat while off and on the water! Good job and awesome fishing! I haven’t been in 3 weeks and I’ve got the itch something serious, this just tipped the boat. We’re going somewhere this weekend if there is anything I can do about it!

edit: Where did you get that clear plastic landing net? Mine is held together with a ziptie at the moment and will be buying a new one before long.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Get back out there, this is the best time of year.

The net is a G2 Slider with clear rubber net. It’s brand new and already ripping from the heavier reds. My old net (G2 Slider) is black rubber, 3 years old, and still in good shape (2-3 zip ties). Seems they lost some strength going to clear.

I put my net on the edge of the cooler so the fish hang, and have noticed when the reds spin in the net the jighead gets wrapped up in the clear netting. This never happened with the black net.

great read.

things seem to break more when its cold

Unfortunately most of the broken equipment was self inflicted, but your right. I break things much easier in cold weather.

Nice work!!!

Great stuff. To me, there is nothing more fun than scouting somewhere new and finding something like that. So rewarding. Especially when 80% of the time or more it ends up with nothing to show.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Great report and pics, thanks a lot!

great report. Thanks!

Loved reading this.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

Great stuff. To me, there is nothing more fun than scouting somewhere new and finding something like that. So rewarding. Especially when 80% of the time or more it ends up with nothing to show.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Couldn’t agree more. The adventure is what opens up the possibility. Were all possibility hunters who gamble time instead of money. So little time, each move costs fishing time. Scouting trips can take an entire day, if your limited to 1 day a week, it can take weeks to find them and even longer to establish a pattern.

great stuff. thanks for sharing!

“mr keys”