Metal carport for boat storage

I store my boat (20Ft CC with T-top) at home on the trailer with a semi-custom cover. The cover has done a great job the last 3 seasons.
I recently moved to a place with lots of large oak trees. They basically run all the way around the property so it’s pretty shaded.
Being oaks, they shed a lot of debris. All spring I have been battling those little pollen strings and small falling limbs.
The cover is pretty nasty and I am realizing it no longer is protecting the boat properly.

I am looking to get a new home for the boat on a budget.
Long term the plan is to build a full garage on slab but that’s 10yrs out.
In the mean time I was looking at freestanding metal carports.
With our climate and humidity and the fact the boat will be in the shade, should the metal carport be open sides, 3 sided, or fully enclosed with a roll up door?

Do I still need to use the boat cover?
With no sun, will I have bad mildew problems?

Is there a better approach?

I have decided that is what I am going to get for my boat. I cover it now but between leaves and rain it is a pain. Keeping the cover to throw over would help with excess dust and blowing leaves. There are several companies with a variety of setups. My brother ordered what he wanted they send a crew to set everything up and I believe it is included in the price. My brother is tuff and picky; but he was very pleased with his storage building.

I use one of the car ports and only have the roof section. If it is going be longer than two weeks between outings or if there is a lot of pollen blowing around I will put the cover on. Mine is in the shade and i believe the sides would cause moisture issues. One thing to consider is with out a cover and an open shed you can have problems with dirt dobbers, birds building nests, some bug that seals Iitself in small holes with what looks like concrete (I hate that bug…), etc

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-HT Bugbuster

I have a metal carport for my boat. It only has the roof, no sides. You probably want to get the side height extensions though, otherwise it may be too low. Something to think about. I have oak trees everywhere too. You still need a cover. Pollen, dust and other “stuff” shows up really well on white fiberglass and vinyl seat covers. I’ve been happy with mine. I haven’t had mildew issues.

Thanks guys, good points.

Roof with open sides:
Cover to remain on the boat (total pain) but will keep dust off boat.
Leaves, dust, pollen, etc. will collect on exposed sides and cover
Mold/mildew minimal or same as current.
Rain can access exposed sides but should dry the same as it does now.
Least expensive, most work/cleaning.

3 sided building:
No cover needed
mold/mildew increases because rain can enter the open side and the air will adjust to ambient causing dew to form on the boat.
dust/pollen, and pests can enter the open side.
Costs a little more, mold and mildew might drive me nuts.

Fully enclosed:
No cover
Mold/mildew less of a problem because dew should collect on the building and not the boat
Dust, pollen, and most pests should be minimized.
Less moisture no direct rain can enter the building.
Need to find a 12ft tall door.
Requires 12ft tall walls.
Least amount of work/cleaning.
Much more expensive. Really put a dent on savings for garage.

Does this make sense? What am I missing.

If your thinking about fully enclosed, ie a shop, go big or go home. I built a 30x50 and could use twice that. I added Leantos off both ends and still wish I had went bigger. I did go 14’ high with 2 roll up doors, one 13’ and one 10’. I can put a big boat with a t top in it and shut the door, I just don’t have a big boat, but plenty of other crap.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

steelmanusa1 on this forum is in the metal building business and just gave me a quote for a 24 x 36 completely enclosed shop with a 12’ door. Send him a PM.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Before I retired I u’sta build steel buildings and pole barns and after they move in they all said it’s to small. Build what you can afford now but be sure to position it on your lot so it can be expanded!

I just got one for my boat. I went with open front with an extra panel on the sides and gable on the “back”. there is a little more than 6 feet between the ground and the panels on three sides.

For a little more than 3 times the cost of a cover, I got a shed. So far, I love it and wish I had done it sooner. Took the guys about an hour and a half to put it up.

My boat is 28.5' loa and is about 33' on the trailer.  I went with an 18X36 with 9' sides (should have went 10).  I also have room for my jeep, 17' metal boat, golf cart and lawnmower.

Pictures please

prices please

For those who have them is there anything you would do differently?
As itzsyd said, I planned on 10ft walls.

I don’t remember what I paid. Seems like about $600. One thing though, it’s DEFINITELY worth it to pay the few extra buck to have them set it up for you.

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

Thanks guys, good points.

Roof with open sides:
Cover to remain on the boat (total pain) but will keep dust off boat.
Leaves, dust, pollen, etc. will collect on exposed sides and cover
Mold/mildew minimal or same as current.
Rain can access exposed sides but should dry the same as it does now.
Least expensive, most work/cleaning.

3 sided building:
No cover needed
mold/mildew increases because rain can enter the open side and the air will adjust to ambient causing dew to form on the boat.
dust/pollen, and pests can enter the open side.
Costs a little more, mold and mildew might drive me nuts.

Fully enclosed:
No cover
Mold/mildew less of a problem because dew should collect on the building and not the boat
Dust, pollen, and most pests should be minimized.
Less moisture no direct rain can enter the building.
Need to find a 12ft tall door.
Requires 12ft tall walls.
Least amount of work/cleaning.
Much more expensive. Really put a dent on savings for garage.

Does this make sense? What am I missing.

We have an enclosed boat shed for our 16ft. I still use a cover. It does alright by me.

The place we got it from had a pole building site that let you kinda design it and get an idea of what the shed would look like. It might help folks visualize. http://www.newmartbuildersinc.com/

I have the 18x21 carport shed with higher sides. have the roof and 2/3rd of the back covered. that is because of a dirt driveway behind my fence that the neighbors use. i also bought a great cover with a 5 yr warranty from sprotsmans guide for around $170 which included the poles to keep it from sagging. have had my shed for over 15 years and very pleased with it. i put a light in it and a receptacle and there you go. got less than $800 in the total thing.
+

You can always put up a carport now – then later close in the sides yourself !!!

I have a 20x30 metal 1 walk in door an a 10ft role up.
one of the best thing I did with it is get it insulatied.

Before then some time it was almost like it was raining
from condensation. Now never any moisture problems.

Bought one of the carports with the pitched roof, then covered the sides and back with the same vinyl they put on billboards. Go some on ebay for $80 that covers the whole way around if I wanted it.