Michael Slager Trial

Anyone been following the trial of Michael Slager, the North Charleston Police officer who shot Walter Scott in the back on April 4th of last year? I have been listening to the case as much as I was able and personally don’t see where the State made a solid case for murder. I think he will end up getting off. Anyway, the case is now in the Jury’s hands, so it’s only a matter of time now.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

If he get off, CHS and NCHS better batten down the hatches!

I’m thinking manslaughter. Not murder

You might be right on the manslaughter charge! Murder 1, is with intent! I don’t think he got up that morning intending to kill that man! He way over did it, however!

Yeah, the jury was given the choice of Murder, voluntary manslaughter or not guilty. I would be highly shocked if they came back with guilty of murder by what I heard from both sides. I really don’t think the case was made to support voluntary manslaughter by definition, but that’s my oppinion. Most of the states accusations were based on what decisions the officer should have made after the fact looking at the video, not from the perspective of heat of the moment. I think they come back with not guilty because the state didn’t prove their case beyound a reasonable doubt.

One Simple Thanks!!

I’m betting on hung jury. The verdict has to be unanimous, so I don’t see 12 signing up for voluntary or all 12 agreeing on not guilty.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

I’ve been talking to a couple of friends working the trial. I don’t see murder, that requires premeditation/intent. Manslaughter is highly possible though I am like Tommy, a hung jury would not be a surprise.

As for any aftermath, if it happens, I believe it will be from outside agitators.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Tennessee v. Garner is weighing heavily…going after murder was stupid on prosecution’s part, but I fear they did it to appease the court of public opinion.

I didn’t get to watch any, but a friend has been remarking all week on how biased the judge has been. Even sustaining an objection to the defense’s CLOSING arguments, a seemingly unprecedented move.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

As for any aftermath, if it happens, I believe it will be from outside agitators.

I believe you are right dfreedom. Pretty much ALL our homegrown locals know it is wrong to run from the law and deep down know most of our law officers are not out to unjustly kill someone. I believe our officers could use more frequent training and better pay.

Edit… Just to make things clear, it the victim would have been White I would have felt no different, maybe better. Dude ran from the law and paid the ultimate price. Never have to worry about him doing it again. I’d bet almost no perp shot by a law officer would have been shot if they would have only complied with the law of our land.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Tennessee v. Garner is weighing heavily…going after murder was stupid on prosecution’s part, but I fear they did it to appease the court of public opinion.

I didn’t get to watch any, but a friend has been remarking all week on how biased the judge has been. Even sustaining an objection to the defense’s CLOSING arguments, a seemingly unprecedented move.

Wadmalaw native

I was able to listen to about 80% of it, but I didn’t notice any bias in the judge. I think he was pretty neutral. I didn’t get to hear all of the closing arguments due to background noise and the fact that they werent talking directly into microphones. I would bet that Savage was putting everything he had into it though.

One Simple Thanks!!

If he gets voluntary manslaughter for shooting a man in the back 5 times 18 feet away from him then our system is broken, which is possibly the case since we don’t have 2nd degree murder in SC. Federal trial will be different.

But yes, as previously mentioned…if there’s an acquittal this will probably get ugly.

Are you saying it should be murder?

quote:

Not sure what the verdict will be, DFree, but what that “officer” did appeared to be pretty dang close to murder. That’s how it’d be viewed were it two civilians, rather than a LEO and a civilian. And you know better than any of us, Leo’s have to be held to a higher standard than the rest of the public.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

It doesn’t matter.

Go read Tennessee v. Garner…

And they have to pin Malice or forethought for murder…

They can’t pin murder. The system isn’t broken, the laws are the laws. Emotion and what you “think” don’t ****ing matter.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:

Not sure what the verdict will be, DFree, but what that “officer” did appeared to be pretty dang close to murder. That’s how it’d be viewed were it two civilians, rather than a LEO and a civilian. And you know better than any of us, Leo’s have to be held to a higher standard than the rest of the public.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Just keep in mind that there was a lot more going on than what we, the public saw in the video. Me personally, when I saw the video, I thought “(**(), that was uncalled for, he will burn for that!!”… But after listening to most of the trial, I can’t say that if I was sitting on the jury that I could say that I thought he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

One Simple Thanks!!

quote:
Originally posted by pitviper0404

But after listening to most of the trial, I can’t say that if I was sitting on the jury that I could say that I thought he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

FOR MURDER…

Voluntary manslaughter - absolutely.

Wadmalaw native

quote:

No, I just reread the actually legal definition and it’s voluntary manslaughter. I don’t think he jumped out of the car with the intent to gun Scott down.

Only 1rst degree murder is premeditated. You would have to understand SC laws to determine if they could get him with 2nd degree murder or voluntary manslaughter. It’s not cut-and-dry as you guys are making it out to be. Bottom line is that you guys are forgetting about “2nd degree murder”… That being said, it is definitely not 1rst degree murder, which DOES involve premeditation.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I don’t think he jumped out of the car with the intent to gun Scott down.

That's an invalid litmus test for "murder". It IS a valid litmus test for murder 1, but not for murder 2.
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I don’t think he jumped out of the car with the intent to gun Scott down.

That's an invalid litmus test for "murder". It IS a valid litmus test for murder 1, but not for murder 2.

Interesting thesis. Do me a quick solid and post the SC legal definition of 2nd degree murder IE murder 2. I bet you’ll have a hard time finding it, since there isn’t 2nd degree murder in SC.