Missing crabber

has anyone heard any updates? doesnt sound good

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/search-for-possible-missing-boater-in-charleston-harbor-to-continue/article_ff5c83ac-ae57-11e9-be5e-d7a16a57b6ff.html

Very sad to hear. Bad things can happen quickly on a crab boat. All it would take is a rope on the deck wraping around a boot and pulling the crabber off balance. I hope there’s a happy ending - but an idling engine is a bad sign. That means he was pulling & dumping, or setting.

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

Very sad to hear. Bad things can happen quickly on a crab boat. All it would take is a rope on the deck wraping around a boot and pulling the crabber off balance. I hope there’s a happy ending - but an idling engine is a bad sign. That means he was pulling & dumping, or setting.

This would make me want to check all of his traps. It’s possible he got caught up in a line also…

Very sad to hear indeed.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

This would make me want to check all of his traps. It’s possible he got caught up in a line also…

Very sad to hear indeed.

Wadmalaw native

that was my first thought as well

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

The traps were pulled yesterday. It’s usually one of the first things done when a crab fisherman goes missing. Search continues tonight. Keep a sharp lookout if you’re going out.

I used to swim carb pots out when I was in high school. They aren’t that heavy unless you have them set up extra heavy. Pulling a pot while treading water was pretty hard though. Short of injury or a crazy tangle up I couldn’t see a POT dragging you Under.

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

I used to swim carb pots out when I was in high school. They aren’t that heavy unless you have them set up extra heavy. Pulling a pot while treading water was pretty hard though. Short of injury or a crazy tangle up I couldn’t see a POT dragging you Under.

Yet here’s the experts telling us it’s one of the first things they do - must be a reason.

Wadmalaw native

Sad ending, prayers for the family.

https://www.live5news.com/2019/07/25/search-missing-boater-charleston-harbor-enters-second-day/

Hard and heartbreaking news. Praying for the Singleton family.

CHARLESTON, S.C. — The Coast Guard ended its search Friday after the missing boater was recovered in Charleston Harbor.

Recovered was Terrance Singleton from North Charleston, S.C.

Forty-two search and rescue assets searched more than 1,636 square miles for over 36 hours.

“While the response was immediate and involved multiple federal, state and local agencies, we were ultimately unable to rescue Mr. Singleton,” said Capt. John Reed, Commander of Coast Guard Sector Charleston. “As search and rescue professionals, we want every search to have a positive outcome. This is a difficult time and our condolences go out to family and friends dealing with this heartbreaking loss.”

On Wednesday, Coast Guard Sector Charleston command center watchstanders received a report from the Coast Guard Cutter Cormorant of a 20-foot Pro-Line crabbing vessel in idle with no one aboard. The Cormorant crew located a shoe, live bait and catch on board the vessel.

Involved in the search were:

Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston
Coast Guard Station Charleston
Coast Guard Cutter Cormorant
Coast Guard Auxiliary
Charleston County Sheriff's Office
Charleston Police Department
Charleston Fire Department
North Charleston Police Department
North Charleston Fire Department
Mount Pleasant Police Department
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

South Carolina Department of Natural Resources is investigating the cause of the incident.
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/25401c7