Model rocket launch site

My brother recently gave each of my sons a model rocket kit. The type that launch around 1,000 feet in the air. Anyone know of a good place around Charleston to launch them?

The soccer fields in MtP would be good except they seem to always be full. I would appreciate any ideas.

There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

James Island County park early in the morning, but that may be against park rules.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Palmetto Islands County Park

Check out the Tripoli South Carolina Rocketry which holds rocket launches once a month at the Super Sod fields at I-26 and US 378 301. Attendance is free and members and non-members can register to launch anything from experimental rockets to small A-motor rocket models

http://www.rocketrysouthcarolina.com/content.php?tabid=73&tabid=149&tabid=149

Schedule:
http://www.rocketrysouthcarolina.com/content.php?192-Orangeburg-South-Carolina-2014-Launch-Schedule

We’ve done this a good number of times and it was a lot of fun. Take some chairs, a picnic, many people set up pop-up canopies to get out sun.

Some photos from one of our trips:

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I kinda want to go watch that… Although I don’t know why. Does anything ever blow up there?

A little more info off the top of my head. The site and launches are covered by the rocket launch association members, some people launch really big rockets, some people launch little toy kit rockets. Rockets are set on a gravel road, larger rockets are set far away from spectators while the smaller ones are set up closer.

To launch a rocket, you’d have to register your rocket with the launch master and get a the que for your launch. They can launch a bunch of rockets per launch - but usually do them one after the other. They have a very secure system of launching remotely…all rockets are wired to a central multi-key launch panel. Rocket 1 has a key, rocket 2 has a key, rocket 3 has a key, etc. The launch control will announce the rocket name and owner and turn the key to activate the line and then put the launch button which energizes your starter and fires your rocket. If there is a mis-fire, that rocket key is turned off and the remaining rockets are launched. Only then can the rocket owner inspect and try to quickly trouble shoot their rocket.

Sometimes they’ll have rocket races where 2 or more rockets are launched at the same time.

Big rockets are always a crowd pleaser.

After launches, owners are allowed to enter the landing fields to retrieve their rocket. Only after all owners have cleared the area are subsequent launches set up.

It’s a very well organized event for high end hobbiest to the very beginner. Check it out.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I kinda want to go watch that… Although I don’t know why. Does anything ever blow up there?

Yes. Someone had a rocket that looked like a V-2 rocket from WWII. It was over 8 feet tall and as big around as a large pizza. At launch it puked out several motors that caused a malfunction. The rocket make it to the 5000 foot range, but caught some grass on fire. That was exciting.

You should take your camera up there. They’d love to get hold of your pictures. Put it on your calendar!

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Sorry, but I think you got the location wrong, claim. I26 and 378 is right beside Lexington hospital. There aren’t any fields anywhere near that.

Looking at the site its I26 and 301 near Orangeburg. I only live about 5 miles from there and never even new that event exists. Looks pretty cool!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Sorry, but I think you got the location wrong, claim. I26 and 378 is right beside Lexington hospital. There aren’t any fields anywhere near that.

Looking at the site its I26 and 301 near Orangeburg. I only live about 5 miles from there and never even new that event exists. Looks pretty cool!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

That’s right…it is Hwy 301. I’ll fix my original.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

That is pretty cool. We will have to go check it out sometime. I wonder what it takes to fuel a rocket that size?

quote:
Originally posted by CBound

That is pretty cool. We will have to go check it out sometime. I wonder what it takes to fuel a rocket that size?

It may have been sugar.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sugar-Rockets

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

yes, been there a few times, something always blows up

they had LDRS (large dangerous rocket shoot)there 10-15 years ago, that was something

here is a vid from a big rocket where the parachute failed, they make a big hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959E5Oh7gPM

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by CBound

My brother recently gave each of my sons a model rocket kit. The type that launch around 1,000 feet in the air. Anyone know of a good place around Charleston to launch them?

The soccer fields in MtP would be good except they seem to always be full. I would appreciate any ideas.

Rocket clubs are the way to go. Kids (like I was once) are fascinated with fire and jets and rockets and explosions and...

But… they are kids. Keep them safe and join a club that is based on the safety of the members and spectators. :wink:

But, if you just want to blow some sh/t up!!! Send me a PM. :smiley:

Just kidding. Be safe. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B4suxQVUAQ

speaking of rocket launches

Made me think of October Sky. Great hobby for all.

Umm, you gonna eat that?

Thousands have died to save my freedom. Only one has died to save my soul!

When’s the next one of these?

Oct. 11-12 - ROSCO Sport launch
National Association of Rocketry Section # 648 (ROSCO)

For both ICBM and ROSCO launches, we begin field setup on Saturday around 11am with flight operations scheduled to begin around noon. Sunday launches begin at 10 AM.

Guys, Gotchacovered launched an 8-footer last month. He is trying to attain a new motor class. These things are a blast to watch. Super super fun and the kids love it. It’s like a nerdy tailgating atmosphere. Lol. But I love going.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

That is nerdy and cool. I may have to see about getting our Scout group to come down and check it out.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I made several when I was in scouts, nothing on that large of scale though. My Dad helped me build one that had a one shot camera in the nose that the shutter tripped when the rocket inverted. It would take an aerial black and white photo from 2,000 feet. Pretty cool. My Dad helped me set up a darkroom and taught me how to develop the pictures too.

We bought kits and solid fuel engines from a company called Estes. This was back in the 1960s. I just googled them and see they are still in business.

Great hobby for kids, big kids too I reckon :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose