Monday 20 july

hey ya’ll… if ya got a sick day or a day off Monday at about 5Am me and a few guys from work are goin to hit the ville for a Photo assignment for one of my guys and then a little fishin… The more the merrier so anyone who wants to hit it wiht us is welcome to come along…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

Well we got out there at 5am, go the boats ready and paddled out to the island. The clouds obscured the sunrise but we got som egreat shots anyway… I should get them toomorrow at work and try to post them up tomorrow evening. Timbuck2 nabbed a small shark, a stingray, a baby red and a croaker as we were shooting then we paddled out. All my flats were bone dry and Tim nabbed a 32" 10lb red on the grass edge, we all had a few bites and I nabbed a small shark on the fly… He spit the hook right as I was about to Boga his butt but since I had hold of the leader and it is salt water I am callin him caught :wink: . It started pissin rain so we packed it in, the tide was almost out and the poysterbars were gettin high so that was a little more motovation to get out of the rain. I did see a HUGE bonnet head cruising the grass edge… My Lord this is the biggest one I have ever seen out there… It had to be pushing 5 ft. I thre a crab pattern to see if he’d eat, I knew the leader wouldn’t hold but I figured it’d be fun for a minute or two but he didn’t like it… All in all another AWESOME day on the water, the fishin was great the catchin not so much :wink:

Tarpon 160os

5’ Bonnethead is bigger than I have seen them. Waist of a fly though. Maybe next time just throw a rock at it. You would only get one splash out of it either way. :smiley:

Glad you got out there and you certainly did better than most people on a Monday. :smiley:

The boggest bonnet head I have seen so far before was about 4 maybe 4 1/2 feet but this one was HUGE… I thought it was another type of shark but it got to about 2ft from my kayak before it dropped deeper and disappeared… I saw it’s head and it was 100% a bonnet head… I may be a little off on the length but I am a pretty fair judge of fish… It wasn;t that it was a long fish the bulk of it was amazing too… Like I said no matter how big it was it was still the biggest bonnethead I have ever seen… Throwing a fly at it and hooking up for even a minute or so would have been worth the fly… I tie my own :wink:

Tarpon 160os

quote:
Originally posted by nikonjedi

The boggest bonnet head I have seen so far before was about 4 maybe 4 1/2 feet but this one was HUGE… I thought it was another type of shark but it got to about 2ft from my kayak before it dropped deeper and disappeared… I saw it’s head and it was 100% a bonnet head… I may be a little off on the length but I am a pretty fair judge of fish… It wasn;t that it was a long fish the bulk of it was amazing too… Like I said no matter how big it was it was still the biggest bonnethead I have ever seen… Throwing a fly at it and hooking up for even a minute or so would have been worth the fly… I tie my own :wink:

Tarpon 160os

State Record for a Bonnethead is around 30 lbs… Atlantic Sharpnose is just over 13 lbs… We need to break each of these records with from a kayak… I think they can be done.

Those who can’t fish, spend too much on seafood!

quote:
Originally posted by YakontheFly
quote:
Originally posted by nikonjedi

Tarpon 160os

State Record for a Bonnethead is around 30 lbs… Atlantic Sharpnose is just over 13 lbs… We need to break each of these records with from a kayak… I think they can be done.

I never realized they were so low. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some 30+ bonnetheads cruising the shallows in front of chutes folly.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame

One time I had gotten out of the boat to get some bait, got my net hung on the only oyster clump in sight. So I was bent over getting it free and got a pretty good bump on my butt. Turned around and it was a 4-5" bonnet. We scared the crap out of each other. Right on the ICW around Capers

team hillbilly

“State Record for a Bonnethead is around 30 lbs… Atlantic Sharpnose is just over 13 lbs… We need to break each of these records with from a kayak… I think they can be done.” I wanna do it in a Kayak ON THE FLY… just waitin for my 10 wt to get here… :wink:

Tarpon 160os

A 10 weight?

Bro, from a yak, we could easily do that with an 8 wt…

I am game if you are… Do you have a known place where you routinely see 5’ Bonnethead Shark we could target?

YotF

Well yes and No… I have only seen the one monster but bonnet heads are VERY prevelent in the Ville… Low tide you’ll see them cruising the creeks backs out of the water looking for crabs…

Tarpon 160os