Mono or Braid for live bait

I’ve got two Shimano Sedona 4000’s that I found in my father’s garage that he doesn’t use anymore and have just cleaned them up and re-oiled, and I plan on using them for live bait either floating or on a Carolina Rig. I’m trying to decide if I should use 20lb mono or 20lb braid? I also plan on putting them on 6’6 Ugly Sticks MH. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

00’ Seapro 17’CC w/ 90 yamaha 2stroke

Braid all the way. I prefer to use live bait and you can’t beat the sensitivity of braid. I’ve always said if you use braid you could fish with your eyes closed.

Braid, Braid, Braid

Carolina rig: Braid to the swivel, mono/flouro to the hook
Rattle Cork: Braid to the rattle cork, mono/flouro to the hook
Adjustable cork: Create a 6-8ft mono/flouro leader and attach the cork to the mono/flouro

Research the correct knots to use with braid.

Braid will let you cast further which can make or break your day.

Excuse the newbie question, why mono for the leader? Is that for low visibility to the fish? It looks like it would be more likely to break because of abrasion, teeth, etc. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve got 3 2500 Symetre’s with 10lb braid that I use for artificials. Just wanting to see what other people use when fishing live bait. I’m thinking about pairing the Shimano Sedona’s with 7’0 M power ugly sticks.

quote:
Originally posted by BobbyB63

Excuse the newbie question, why mono for the leader? Is that for low visibility to the fish? It looks like it would be more likely to break because of abrasion, teeth, etc. Thanks.

Bobby, found this in another thread. Hope this helps.

Some factors that sway me towards leaders are:

1. I am a preperation freak and when line visiblity matters I am always ready
  2. Good quality leader material IMO is tougher when it comes to encounters with oysters
  3. Braid tends to grab and wrap around oysters/structure a lot easier than hard mono or flourocarbon.
  4. I do not like tying knots in braid. I tie one knot with braid; a spider hitch to form a double line to which I attach the leader material.
  5. When casting topwaters and multi hook plugs, mono or flouro is less likely to tangle on the hooks when casting.
  6. Leaders provide a some level stretch which helps keeps hooks from being thrown.

Braid with a few feet of flurocarbon at the end.

Bobby,
Braid is so limp it tangles on everything and when I say everything I mean everything which includes itself. A mono leader will help prevent tangles.
For me, that is number 1 on my list. Visibility is a bonus.
There is nothing worse than spending all that time money and effort to get on the water and then waste half the day untangling lines, worse yet is to loose the big one because your braid wrapped itself around the end of your rig and got cut.

Braid. And 7’ medium ugly sticks are my ideal rod for baitsoaking… the best part is they are only 50$!

quote:
Some factors that sway me towards leaders are: 1. I am a preperation freak and when line visiblity matters I am always ready 2. Good quality leader material IMO is tougher when it comes to encounters with oysters 3. Braid tends to grab and wrap around oysters/structure a lot easier than hard mono or flourocarbon. 3. I do not like tying knots in braid. I tie one knot with braid; a spider hitch to form a double line to which I attach the leader material. 4. When casting topwaters and multi hook plugs, mono or flouro is less likely to tangle on the hooks when casting. 5. Leaders provide a some level stretch which helps keeps hooks from being thrown.

Good reasons…I know this person personally…you can trust him.:smiley:

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

I use braid with a mono or fluoro leader. I use the tool in this link to make a nail knot splice. Very fast and smaller than a swivel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc

I have no financial interest in this tool.

Rich Chesser
Panga Marine 18