Mono vs Braid

Serious question, I am thinking of finally spooling a reel with braid but I honestly have no knowledge of it. I always use mono 10-20lb depending on the reel and rod. Making an in expensive set up for my daughter using an older 6’6" Ultra Light ugly stick and I purchased one of Redfisher’s Sharky II reels (let the trolls begin). Lately I have found no matter where I get line spooled or price range of line purchased my spinning reels end up “twisted” even with usually to swivels in my set up unless I am casting artificials. Any pro’s and con’s will be appreciated.

I only use braid on all my gear. Typically on a 2500, I use 10lb braid, 3000 I use 15lb and 4000 I’ll use 20lb. I prefer Power Pro but a tip to save some cash, have them spool the reel with a mono backing. That will cut down on the amount of braid applied to the spool and save some money. Braid is more abrasion resistant than mono, but with that being said it will also float on the surface. So you have to be cautious on a windy day and fishing in current to be mindful where your line is at.

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

Twists come from your bait spinning in the current and can be mitigated by changing the way you hook your bait. Tell us what you are using and how your hooking it.

Mono and Flouro tolerate very little twisting before crazy knots appear.
Tightly woven Braid tolerates more twists and loosely woven braid tolerates the most twisting.

Power Pro is a tightly woven benchmark braid. Start with that, as time goes by find what you don’t like about it and try different brands. I don’t like the amount of noise and vibration of the line running through the eyes.

I ended my braid search with Spiderwire EZ Braid. It’s a loose weave braid.

Cons:
Online reviews are terrible. I like to think it is the most hated braid on the market.
Don’t go less than 15lb. For starters I would recommend 20lb until you get used to the line.
Not the best abrasion resistance so I use a 20lb flouro leader
It wears out fast so you must remove the working end (30ft) once it flattens out. The weave of the line is so long the individual strands separate from each other causing the line to get fat and color changes to light green. You will know when it’s time to cut some off.
Spools only come in 150yd and 300yd.

Pros:
It is the smoothest line out there. Those other “slick” lines don’t even know what smooth is.
Casts a mile
Super small diameter.
Is cheap
Readily available - walmart, gander, field n stream
Handles twists very well. My line gets so twisted you can hear the twists running through the rod eyes. Cut 30ft off and keep going.

EZ Braid is on the 2000-2500 spinning rods for casting artificials.
Fins XS is on the larger 4000-6500 spinning rods for soaking live bait.

quote:
Originally posted by Tigershrk21

Serious question, I am thinking of finally spooling a reel with braid but I honestly have no knowledge of it. I always use mono 10-20lb depending on the reel and rod. Making an in expensive set up for my daughter using an older 6’6" Ultra Light ugly stick and I purchased one of Redfisher’s Sharky II reels (let the trolls begin). Lately I have found no matter where I get line spooled or price range of line purchased my spinning reels end up “twisted” even with usually to swivels in my set up unless I am casting artificials. Any pro’s and con’s will be appreciated.

Let us know how you like the sharky2

FF80 I use mostly MM or Live shrimp when available or whole dead shrimp which is what I always figured to be the cause which is why I use a ball bearing snap swivel connected to a double swiveled popping cork w/ flouro leader. I like to rig a bunch of popping corks with diff length leaders and w/ the snap swivel I can change out quickly.

Friogatto do you have to use any special knot’s with the braid. Unless fly fishing I use a quick cinch knot? I like to use 12lb or 15lb when fishing for a slam would u still recommend 20lb? I also always thought braid would be more expensive than mono never compared them or thought to use mono as a backing as FF80 sugest.
thanks guys for the info

I spool all my reels with braid now. It last longer and is way for sensitive. If it starts to wear out you can pull it off the reel and turn it around so the worn line goes on first. If the situation calls for mono I just add a top shot over the braid. I double my braid then attach the mono with simple uni to uni knot. As far as line twist go, I always close my bail by hand. Don’t use the handle to close the bail. It twist the line. It takes a while to train yourself to do it but I promise you will see a difference.

Also watch the line guides for wear. Some guides can eventually be cut or get grooves in them when using braided line. There are some rods that say they are made specifically for braided line.

I like to use fluorocarbon line for most clear water conditions. Or atleast a fluoro leader.
Also agree with closing the bail by hand.

I disagree with the above comment that braid has better abrasion resistance.

For your setup, being that it is for your daughter, i would go with mono for simplicity because its easier to tie. Especially if you plan on her throwing artificials because you can tie directly to the mainline and still have relatively good abrasion resistance and low line visibility

Pros
You can really feel a bite 10x better with it.
You can cast and artificial a long ways with it.
You can horse a fish up with it.

Cons
If you ever get a knot in it - forgetaboutit! You not getting it out!
On a breezy day tying a knot with it is a B… especially if your eyes are over 45. Mine 60.
It will cut the snot out of you way more so than mono.

I am old school and finally tried some just 2 yrs ago. If have PP and Spiderwire. I have it on my Abu6500 catfish rod and on my Penn9 bottom fishing rod for the coast. I’m still undecided on it. Lets face it. Most of the time you have a pretty good breeze at the coast. I always flip the the bail by hand - but took it off my 2500 spinner and put it on conventional reel. I like it for bottom fishing. I still go 10# mono with 20-25# fluro leader for artificials. Just was not worth the hassle IMO making a lot of cast.

J Ford

quote:
Originally posted by Tigershrk21

FF80 I use mostly MM or Live shrimp when available or whole dead shrimp which is what I always figured to be the cause which is why I use a ball bearing snap swivel connected to a double swiveled popping cork w/ flouro leader. I like to rig a bunch of popping corks with diff length leaders and w/ the snap swivel I can change out quickly.

Friogatto do you have to use any special knot’s with the braid</font id=“size3”>. Unless fly fishing I use a quick cinch knot? I like to use 12lb or 15lb when fishing for a slam would u still recommend 20lb? I also always thought braid would be more expensive than mono never compared them or thought to use mono as a backing as FF80 sugest.
thanks guys for the info

Palomar is the best knot for braid that I have found, hands down. Braid will cut into itself with some knots and break quickly. Plus it is super easy to tie with even cold wet hands too! Power pro has been my choice as well, and don’t waste your time or money on the “slick”…it is terrible and cuts into its spool way too much for me. 10-30lb test typically does the trick! Hope this helps.

Fishing Nerd

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

Braid has a learning from curve for sure. It starts with packing it on the reel. If you can’t use leather gloves to put it on the reel I would suggest letting a tackle shop spoil it. You can’t put it on too tight. I like the slick 8 power pro but it’s much harder to spool on because it’s so slick.

I string my reels with J-braid. 15lb test gets all my inshore fishing done. Great braid, good price. Has great reviews on amazon. Stuff is like silk. I love it.

i hate the slick8

what is j braid flywhat?

frig, that part about the last 30 yards of the spiderire crapping out fast is golden.

I’ll add this. if you find what you really like, there is a giant savings to buying 1000 yard spools