Moon phase effect on catching shrimp

we usually spend a week at the coast during shrimping season and usualy choose our week when low tides are around or near dark. i would be interested in opinions on which phase (or if it matters) of the moon is best for shrimping over bait.

Around full or new moon. Full just nicer 'cause you can see better. You want stronger tides - weak tide=poor shrimping.

J Ford

http://www.joinrfa.com/

I agree with jford. I have always heard the stronger the tides/more movement the better the shrimping. That works day or night.

I think the shrimp move, or start to move, toward the ocean right in front of the full moon up to the full moon. I’ve been shrimping since it was legal and I try to go 2 to 3 days in front of the full moon up to the full moon. During the season we will have this time twice. It may be the moon that causes this or the stronger tides just wash them out. Either way that is what I’ve noticed in my years of shrimping.

thanks for the info. last year’s season was a tough one - hopefully the coming one will be better.

new to town … whens the season ?

quote:
Originally posted by joeb1478

new to town … whens the season ?

It begins at noon on the last Friday on/before September 15 and lasts for 60 days (not 2 months). Goes out at noon on the last day. This forum will get really hot with info and general talk when it gets closer.

Ranger Bay 2000
Yamaha F150

Molon Labe!

Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. - Anatole France (paraphrased)
Riley, you will always be in my heart, I will always love and remember you. Thank you Lord for the 8 years.
RIP my Puppy Dog 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013

Bowhunter, sory about you dog! I know what a loss it is!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Bowhunter, sory about you dog! I know what a loss it is!

Thanks. It’s been just over a month and we still miss him very much. Just like losing a family member.

Ranger Bay 2000
Yamaha F150

Molon Labe!

Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. - Anatole France (paraphrased)
Riley, you will always be in my heart, I will always love and remember you. Thank you Lord for the 8 years.
RIP my Puppy Dog 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013