More to Catch Than Trout

My friend who fished with me this past weekend caught redfish and red snapper. I asked him which he preferred to catch. I’d like to know which YOU would prefer to catch…trout, redfish, or red snapper? Oh, yeah…before you say it, the bull red was quickly released to fight another day.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

Those snapper on the oil rigs HW?
Plastic?

where did yall catch the red?

There are a lot of snapper caught on the oil rigs, but I have found some bottom structure in about 65’ of water about 3 miles offshore and I catch snapper there. I don’t want to venture too far out in my bay boat. I pick my days. I’ve caught snapper on butterfly jigs and all sorts of cut bait. I have an abundance of trout bellies, and they make great snapper bait.

quote:
Originally posted by SCHILLBILLY

Those snapper on the oil rigs HW?
Plastic?

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

quote:
Originally posted by theginganinja

where did yall catch the red?

In about 4’ of water right off a beach.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

Me personally, Spot Tail. They can be tricky to catch but also can be easy. They have amazing pulling power and some have some beautiful colors to them as well. I don’t eat any fish… so the drag peeling rod bending hand-shaking heart-pumping action is what I love the most!

I did disaster relief in Slidell for almost a year after Katrina, won a good bet that a redfish and a spot tail were the same fish. My Granddad and neighbor taught me spot tail, so they’ll always be spot tails to me!

Slidell/New Orleans is the only place I’ve ever eaten fried shrimp with the heads on… was too crunchy for me haha, I’ll stick to tails. The crawdads were tasty though!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Love me a big red drum on light tackle. Seeing them tail always gets my heart racing, followed by the reluctant patience needed to calmly get in casting range. And then the eat!

Sam Elliott
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJapLk9rt91Jop89mxRU7eg?

The best part about that area is that you can call ALL of that on any given day (wx permitting)

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

I’ve caught all three species on the same day many times. It’s pretty easy down there.

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

The best part about that area is that you can call ALL of that on any given day (wx permitting)

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

I would rather catch trout ,them ARS, then spottails.

quote:
Originally posted by rr conductor

I would rather catch trout ,them ARS, then spottails.

My friend there said he’d rather catch bull reds. Chocolate and vanilla.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com