MORGAN/MONKEY Island

Headed down for our annual trip to Beaufort this weekend. Been making this run from Charleston for quite a number of years but we have never stopped to check out the monkeys. We Will be there around mid day so the chances of us actually seeing them maybe limited but figure we at least try. Can someone advise on the best side of the island to see them on? Looks like a nice beach on the Edisto side not sure about the water depth in the creeks that run on the inland side of the island? It should be incoming tide while we are there. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Edisto side. There’s a clearly marked channel but big sandbar against Morgan Is, as you make the left turn between the islands. If you’re on FB check out Edisto Eco Tours. They’ve had some recent pics. You want to view from NE end of the sandbar.

Been several years since I’ve been there, in my recollection once you get in the creek its pretty deep. If its an overcast day you are pretty likely to see them even in midday.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

We have only seen them when from the Morgan River side of the island just inside the tree line

Spartanburg/Edisto
Sea Hunt 27 “Edi-tude”
Maverick 18 HPX-V

Lady’s Island side is a nice sand bar that gets a bit crowded on the weekend, but you’ll need binoculars to see them if at all. If comeing from the Edisto side ease in (like reelescape said ) to the left side of the river (big sand flats on either side) once in you’ll come to a cross section hang right and keep going until you see the bluff and Dock. They used to come out on the dock, but haven’t seen them do that in a few years. Seems the last 6-8 years it’s been kind of hit and miss. Not suppose to feed them, but they do seem to like whole corn. Spicy Chicken nuggets not so much. If you have some time, right before the dock you might get a few trout pitching under the Oak trees or try some shrimp/squid on the bottom just as the bluff starts for whiting.

Fred67, how navigable is that creek from the dock into the island for a 27 CC?

Spartanburg/Edisto
Sea Hunt 27 “Edi-tude”
Maverick 18 HPX-V

Past the dock it gets shallow quick. I’d not venture past it. If you are coming from the Beaufort make a wide swing out and stick to the left before entering the river.

I’ve always had luck seeing hundreds of them in the morning on the St Helena Island side. The trees come out to a beach. I whistle and they usually come out.

The Google Earth 1/28/11 imagery date view of the same area in Fred67’s screenshot above gives a great view of all the sandbars in the river and in the creek.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

quote:
Originally posted by spec

The Google Earth 1/28/11 imagery date view of the same area in Fred67’s screenshot above gives a great view of all the sandbars in the river and in the creek.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

It’s really neat to be able to scroll back in time to a satellite pick at low tide. Some of the pics at High tide can be really confusing. :smiley:

Sorry I should have replied back earlier. Tide was going out when we went and a buddy of mine had just gotten caught up in the creek a couple days prior to our trip so I opted for the Morgan Creek side. We pulled up alongside the main beach, it was midday so I was was not too optimistic; however, they were hanging out In the trees just inside the beach. We were able to get some good pictures but all at some distance. Now that I know the lay of the land I will definitely make this a stop on our future Beaufort trips. Thanks for all the help!