Mosquitoes.

I don’t know how everyone else is fairing, but dang if this might be the worst I’ve ever seen them other than way up north. Came home and started playing on the tractor, got it stuck and on the walk back to the house broke into a jog and still got tore up. Took the truck down last night and pulled it out and got attacked even worse… with bug spray on.

Was down near the Fields Point area ( they are always bad there) and it was utterly incredible the number of the nasty little buggers.

Don’t know how the poor deer don’t go insane!

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

It’s very very bad in West Ashley. The kids can’t even play outside, thankfully they sprayed Wadmalaw Island fairly quickly once the water receded…

My dogs go in out through a doggy door into the sunroom and then another into the backyard, freely. Every time they come inside there’s 4 or 5 more mosquitos in my house. I have had to lock them in and use the sunroom as an airlock to keep them out of the house.

And I swear they’re HUUUUUUGE! Smack them down and they stand back up and talk smack to you they’re so big, hell, they crunch when you smack them!

Unfortunately, as seen with these recent events, we have built concrete jungles over our swamps and lowlands. They are no longer buffers for the inundation of water we see in these crazy storms. Now, instead of the land absorbing it, we funnel it all into certain areas to be funneled through aging infrastructure. Bees Ferry and all of that development is what’s causing the Main RD issues…that water has nowhere to go now, and the pipes beneath the railroad bed at main road that dump into the Stono/Rantowles area are not sufficient to handle the now extreme influx of water…that’s why it stays flooded now and didn’t a couple of years ago.

All of that means we are holding more water than normal, so when “events” like that happen they mosquitos have more time to flourish.

Don’t forget, another 7000 homes going in in the area between Grand Oaks and Dodge’s store on 17…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I live in Bluffton Fred, I can’t walk outside to my truck without being swarmed. The county says the trucks will be spraying my neighborhood in the morning. I hope that holds true, worst skeeters I’ve ever seen.

oc

I’ve never had a problem with them here in S’ville, but they are terrible and Leadenwahboy you are right they are the largest I have ever seen and that is coming from someone who grew up on James Island and was swarmed by them my whole life.

Terrible here too. Worse than I’ve ever seen them. And I live in a rural county in the Savannah river swamp with no hope of mosquito spraying. The mosquito control office in Chatham County (Savannah) said they were the worst in 30 years. They are spraying the hell out of Chatham county. Us poor next door neighbors just have to suffer.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I bought a stihl backpack blower with a 2 gallon liquid applicator on it to fog the bushes/yard, best money ive spent in 2016. I spray my yard and my neighbor across the fields yard about every 3 weeks and its the ticket, going to spray deer stands this afternoon.

quote:
Originally posted by salty849

I bought a stihl backpack blower with a 2 gallon liquid applicator on it to fog the bushes/yard, best money ive spent in 2016. I spray my yard and my neighbor across the fields yard about every 3 weeks and its the ticket, going to spray deer stands this afternoon.

(**() really? I didn’t know they made that. You can tell it works even in that small of anarea?

First, Most, Biggest

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/mosquito-control-kit-ultimate-p-2707.html?gclid=CIDZzMfH_c8CFYEXgQod5IwE7Q

RBF

“Make America Sane Again.”

quote:
Originally posted by Great White
quote:

(**() really? I didn’t know they made that. You can tell it works even in that small of anarea?

First, Most, Biggest

Absolutly, they land on the leaves that have been treated and they have a problem. now, its not like spraying my whole yard but it beats them down enough I can run my thermacell hot one time and cut it off the rest of the evening.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/mosquito-control-kit-ultimate-p-2707.html?gclid=CIDZzMfH_c8CFYEXgQod5IwE7Q

RBF

That solo unit is a piece of crap. Stihl or Husqvarna are the only durable options.

I took the air filter off my lawn mower and mixed up some roach spray and motor oil. I poured it through the carburetor with the engine at a high RPM. Made a LOT of smoke and it knocked em down for about an hour. Long enough time for my brother and I to catch nine trout and four red fish off the dock.:smiley:

ZX

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

RBF

That solo unit is a piece of crap. Stihl or Husqvarna are the only durable options.

Just trying to help… In other words, showing folks there are options to do it themselves… Not necessarily a product review…

RBF

I’m gonna do TanksGT method. good redneck engineering right there.

btw, will the HOA send me a letter for this?

This is the worst I have seen in West Ashley. It doesn’t help that I back up to Church Creek so naturally the mosquitoes will be bad, but lately bad is an understatement. Not only that, but now I have Pterodactyl mosquitoes in my yard. I probably lose a couple pints of blood just sitting out back smoking a cigar.

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

This is the worst I have seen in West Ashley. It doesn’t help that I back up to Church Creek so naturally the mosquitoes will be bad, but lately bad is an understatement. Not only that, but now I have Pterodactyl mosquitoes in my yard. I probably lose a couple pints of blood just sitting out back smoking a cigar.

I’m on the lake next to you somewhere, and you’re right, they’re INSANE!

I saw one yesterday said Delta on the side of it it was so big!

Wadmalaw native

I’m back in Canterbury Woods. Can’t be too far.

I’m actually already looking for parts to do this to my riding mower… not even joking.

http://youtu.be/Suq1niCiYJw

quote:

I’m actually already looking for parts to do this to my riding mower… not even joking.

http://youtu.be/Suq1niCiYJw

That’s excellent! I wonder what chemical to use and how effective the fog is versus the liquid into the blower? Have you read up on how it works yet?

I had a guy spray my place last year, and all he had was one of those backpack blowers with the fogger, and he did all the bushes and grass all over the yard, and it cost me $60. It worked for about 3 days. But the stuff that was coming out made everything WET, like he was actually misting liquid onto the foliage…

Does this “fog” do the same? How does the chemical (or whatever he’s spraying) help anything?

Wadmalaw native

quote:

I’m back in Canterbury Woods. Can’t be too far.

Heh!!! We used to live in CW…we have were there for about twenty years! moved out two yrs ago. Liked the area!

Oh and the mossies are really bad out here in Hollywood too!!

From what I have seen is it’s a certain ratio of permitherin and diesel fuel. Wrapping the tubing around the exhaust pipe heats it prior to entering the muffler, at which point it seems to “burn it off” like a two stroke running rich. The permitherin will actually kill every mosquito it touches (in theory). It’s definitely something you have to think about with kids nearby. So it’s something I would do during school hours and pay attention to wind direction. This is different from what is used with the blower since it will be actual dog and not a liquid. I saw a few guys that did it with riding mowers and had a pipe coming out the front of the muffler aiming to the side in order to prevent driving straight into the fog.

Tonic- CW is great, been in this neighborhood about 7 years and love how quiet it is. I’ve heard the state birds have been bad your way. My in-laws live a few docks down from the Toogoodoo boat ramp.