Mounting scope and rings to AR style rifle

Since I’m not allowed to post elsewhere due to someone not liking being helped constructively, I’ll post it here! Even if it only helps ONE person, it’s worth using this example.

If you are mounting a scope on a flat-top AR style rifle, DO NOT install your rings like this. They need to be on the same piece!! The upper receiver and the handguard are NOT one piece. This can (probably will eventually) mess up your zero.

This is precisely why most scope mounts made for AR rifles are one-piece cantilever designs. In order to get eye relief correct with most scopes, they must be so far forward that the front ring would be on a different piece…BAD IDEA.

Oh snap…

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Thanks for posting this. Made me go back and look at a couple of AR mounts we have. Great advice, unless you have a Colt LE901 .308 AR like my dad has, it is a one piece upper/handguard. I never even noticed until you posted this.

Thanks,

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Thanks for posting this. Made me go back and look at a couple of AR mounts we have. Great advice, unless you have a Colt LE901 .308 AR like my dad has, it is a one piece upper/handguard. I never even noticed until you posted this.

Thanks,

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

That’s right! A lot of rifles use “monolithic” (some call it other things) upper receivers to help with this issue.

If you have one mounted like this, it is best to pick up a cantilever mount and make it happen. Burris PEPR mount or similar (cheap on amazon) work great and look good as well. :wink:

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Oh snap…

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Nothing in my post was inflammatory or critical. It was simply a suggestion to the OP and to anyone who may have seen the post. Not sure if it was worthy of the PM I got with profanity in it…

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

[quote]Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Nothing in my post was inflammatory or critical. It was simply a suggestion to the OP and to anyone who may have seen the post. Not sure if it was worthy of the PM I got with profanity in it…

Wadmalaw native

Do tell, got me curious.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I commented the same story on his for sale thread. He edited to remove his posts and started a new one. I received (and have received more…interesting conversation) a PM telling me to **** off basically. The other post said the same thing, that he was selling good equipment, but that I didn’t want buyer or seller to think that that mount (he says was a temporary for the picture, yet was bore sighted by Talley representative??) was sufficient and secure for an AR style rifle.

I stand by that. Google it if you like. Watch a slow-mo video of an AR firing from the side and watch the flex and movement at that joint between handguard and receiver. Then come back and tell me I don’t know what the **** I’m talking about and continually feed people bad information and sell junk.

But it’s cool. It’s the internet after all…now, where’s my beer? :smiley:

Wadmalaw native

This dude is a know it all prick and posted his nonsense in my forsale thread. I threw the (**() scope on my at for a picture since I was selling it, paying no attention to where it sat on the rail last night at midnight. I put an aim point t2 on the gun and was selling a set of like new 150$ talley rings and a 200$ scope for 275$. I asked him to remove his comment which he decided not to and has since started this other thread to show his vast knowledge of firearms.
The correct way to put it on the rifle is illustrated in the picture below, I didn’t figure on getting called out on a for sale thread but his is charlestonfishing, so I really shouldn’t figure much, there are a ton of keyboard Cowboys around here…

[

The profanity was “delete that $h!t off my forsale thread”,the real word, ouch. And I also stated that I hadn’t commented on some of the ridiculous prices he had on some used firearms he was selling, I expect the same, if your not interested in buying something in the trading post then move along.

quote:
Originally posted by salty849

This dude is a know it all prick and posted his nonsense in my forsale thread. Really, name calling? Grow up dude.</font id=“red”> I threw the (**() scope on my at for a picture since I was selling it, paying no attention to where it sat on the rail last night at midnight. Yet you claim a Talley rep lapped the rings and bore sighted it. Why do that if it’s temporary? </font id=“red”> I put an aim point t2 on the gun and was selling a set of like new 150$ talley rings and a 200$ scope for 275$. Does price really have any relevance to this conversation? </font id=“red”> I asked him to remove his comment which he decided not to You deleted your post and made a new one before I could. I would have gladly done so, except the internet cowboy felt it necessary to cuss me in a PM :smiley:</font id=“red”> and has since started this other thread to show his vast knowledge of firearms. Nope, started this one to show that your picture (which may have driven someone to mount something in a similar way) was wrong. </font id=“red”>
The correct way to put it on the rifle is illustrated in the picture below, Correct way is subjective. That eyepiece being that far back won’t work for most people.</font id=“red”> I didn’t figure on getting called out on a for sale thread but his is charlestonfishing, so I really shouldn’t figure much, there are a ton of keyboard Cowboys around here… Nobody called you out. You need to put on your big boy panties and remember that this is the internet and sometimes your feelings may get hurt, whether it was intended or not. </font id=“red”>

Wadmalaw native

quote:

The profanity was “delete that $h!t off my forsale thread”,the real word, ouch. And I also stated that I hadn’t commented on some of the ridiculous prices he had on some used firearms he was selling, I expect the same, if your not interested in buying something in the trading post then move along.

You ever notice that thing on a price that says OBO? Do you know what that even means? Seems you don’t.

By the way, if I posted a picture of a rifle with the scope mounted incorrectly, I would appreciate if you chimed in and corrected me. If I had done so for a picture, I would calmly tell you that and continue on my way, thanking you for your input.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
quote:

You ever notice that thing on a price that says OBO? Do you know what that even means? Seems you don’t.

By the way, if I posted a picture of a rifle with the scope mounted incorrectly, I would appreciate if you chimed in and corrected me. If I had done so for a picture, I would calmly tell you that and continue on my way, thanking you for your input.

Wadmalaw native

If I thought something could potentially be wrong I would shoot you a PM, not comment on a for sale thread and try and correct you, potentially costing you a sale.

How would the way I’m using a piece of equipment have any effect on it’s value or use for someone else? Come on man. I’m done.

Sending you a PM would help NO ONE BUT YOU! My whole point in this whole thing (as communicated a dozen times) was to help OTHERS. And I have, as seen above.

Wadmalaw native

Popcorn anyone?

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

quote:

How would the way I’m using a piece of equipment have any effect on it’s value or use for someone else? Come on man. I’m done.

Sending you a PM would help NO ONE BUT YOU! My whole point in this whole thing (as communicated a dozen times) was to help OTHERS. And I have, as seen above.

Wadmalaw native

Your obviously not done homeboy, because you keep on biting, like a hungry peanut dolphin on the teaser......... Like I said before, you cant do much around this joint without the know it alls jumping on you. Hence the lack of posts in the hunting section, or pretty much anywhere else. The scope wasn't mounted incorrectly, I threw it on the gun for a quick picture so I could sell it.
quote:
quote:

Wadmalaw native

Your obviously not done homeboy, because you keep on biting, like a hungry peanut dolphin on the teaser......... Like I said before, you cant do much around this joint without the know it alls jumping on you. Hence the lack of posts in the hunting section, or pretty much anywhere else. The scope wasn't mounted incorrectly, I threw it on the gun for a quick picture so I could sell it.

YOU’RE*** - speaking of know-it-alls…

This is the internet. People will have differing opinions. It’s how you handle them that matters.

By the way, I’m not your home-boy.

Wadmalaw native

quote:

Since I’m not allowed to post elsewhere due to someone not liking being helped constructively, I’ll post it here! Even if it only helps ONE person, it’s worth using this example.

If you are mounting a scope on a flat-top AR style rifle, DO NOT install your rings like this. They need to be on the same piece!! The upper receiver and the handguard are NOT one piece. This can (probably will eventually) mess up your zero.

This is precisely why most scope mounts made for AR rifles are one-piece cantilever designs. In order to get eye relief correct with most scopes, they must be so far forward that the front ring would be on a different piece…BAD IDEA.

Wadmalaw native

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition” -Howell Forgy

^Love my Monarch 5.

What mount is that?

Wadmalaw native

quote:

^Love my Monarch 5.

What mount is that?

Wadmalaw native

I bought it from armalite for my ar-10. I have found it can be removed and reinstalled and only be about 2.5 / 3" out at a hundred yards. Trustworthy enough to shoot pigs! Now I need to find out what I did with the top cap......

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

quote:
Originally posted by Island Boy
quote:

^Love my Monarch 5.

What mount is that?

Wadmalaw native

I bought it from armalite for my ar-10. I have found it can be removed and reinstalled and only be about 2.5 / 3" out at a hundred yards. Trustworthy enough to shoot pigs! Now I need to find out what I did with the top cap......

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

I believe that armalight mount calls for 40 inch pounds of torque on the two bolts holding it to the rail, if you torque it to spec in the same spot it should be completely repeatable. 2.5-3" off on a gun that’s a shooter would drive me crazy.