Moving a big safe

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best method for moving a big gun safe? I’m having one delivered this week, but they will only bring it as far as the pallet jack will roll, which will be inside the garage. I have to bring it up 2 steps and then across some hardwood and some carpet. The hardwood and carpet are both brand new, so I really don’t want to tear the floors up.

I’m sure some of you have done it or seen it done, so let me know the best way.

Thanks!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I would try to use a hand truck to get it up the steps with a few guys

We usually use a set a dollies to move big gun safes but make sure you use a good set with rubber wheels across the hardwood floors. When you roll it across the carpet, spin it in circles as you move it across the carpet or you will create a huge wrinkle in your new carpet even if it was power stretched.

Wells Flooring
BRIAN WELLS

I’d get a sheet of plywood, rip it in half, roll the over top it then move it as you go. I’ve got a heavy appliance dolly w/ strap if you need to borrow one, on Folly, pm me.

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best method for moving a big gun safe? I’m having one delivered this week, but they will only bring it as far as the pallet jack will roll, which will be inside the garage. I have to bring it up 2 steps and then across some hardwood and some carpet. The hardwood and carpet are both brand new, so I really don’t want to tear the floors up.

Thanks!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Cut yourself 3 or 4 two foot sections of schedule forty pipe. Rock safe back and lever it onto one pipe and keep putting another piece of pipe in front, repeat, repeat, repeat. Easy as pie. As others mentioned, make sure you have some muscle to help with steering and to assist with the use of dolly to help guide it up steps and across threshold.

2" Pipe btw

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by Badfish

I’d get a sheet of plywood, rip it in half, roll the over top it then move it as you go. I’ve got a heavy appliance dolly w/ strap if you need to borrow one, on Folly, pm me.

Thanks, I’m up in Lexington, though. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and the were moving them around on 3/4 pvc schedule 40. That along with some plywood down on the floor may be the ticket. Getting it up the 2 steps is going to be the hard part.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Thanks!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Cut yourself 3 or 4 two foot sections of schedule forty pipe. Rock safe back and lever it onto one pipe and keep putting another piece of pipe in front, repeat, repeat, repeat. Easy as pie. As others mentioned, make sure you have some muscle to help with steering and to assist with the use of dolly to help guide it up steps and across threshold.

2" Pipe btw

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

You just beat me to it, thanks for the suggestions!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

im right near the dam on the irmo side. send me a PM if you need an extra hand, even though you’re tiger fan.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

x2, I’m just down the rd from TheMechanic

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thanks guys. I think I’ll have enough help, but I’ll keep y’all in mind.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

When I retired my wife had a great idea" we’ll move the 5 drawer fire safe to the home office! It took a bobcat, 6 guys and 2 furniture dollies and 2 hours and its still in the basement! Didn’t know that thing was so heavy. By the way its still on the 2 dollies! Good luck, watch your toes!

Tigerfin, PM sent.

Helped my dad with a similar move of his gun safe a couple years back. We used a dolly up the stairs then set it on a fluffy small piece of carpeting turned upside down and slid it across the hardwood. I didn’t have to deal with carpet, but if we had I would’ve ripped some plywood to roll across as earlier suggested.

You’re right that going up those two steps were by far the worst part.

I am a locksmith and have worked with safe and vault companies. There are a few questions that come to mind.
1 what size is this safe? Will it fit through doorways/ halls etc.
2 how much does it weigh? 600 lbs easily doable, 1000 or more?..
3 what security devices are installed? Devices such as relockers and other internal components could be damaged by a ruff move.
I would suggest calling a local locksmith that deals in safes. They have the equipment, knowledge to handle a job like this. They also have the insurance if something does get damaged they will cover any damages. Talk with them first about what they are willing and able to do. The cost may not be as much as you think. For a couple hundred bucks and it already in the garage, plus less personal liability to you if you or one of your friends gets damaged in the process.
But, if money is an issue…pallet jack using 4x4s building up 4 inches under both at a time and plywood to roll it over. Good luck

Boatpoor that cabinet is full of concrete. Been there and it was no picnic indeed.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Tigerfin, if its a big heavy duty and well secure safe why not just push it in a corner and secure it to the floor.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers to help. I finally got it today and with the help of 2 of my co workers, we got it in the house and in place in less than an hour. We used pvc to roll it on on top of some plywood. It went really smoothly and no damage what so ever.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Glad to hear mission acompished!