Moving to Charleston from NC

PC for sure then.

j

17 Malibu CC
88 'rude

look at Hobcaw Pt.,an older Mt.Pleasant neighborhood,no H.O.A. to bother,private boat landing/yard on the Wando River.Renovated pool house,nice clubhouse,and so on.

If you have kids,Mt.Pleasant offers excellent schools.

As far as traffic,just like everywhere now,know when and where to go.

The simple truth is that the Charleston area is very diverse and there is access to fishing in virtually every area mentioned on this thread. Traffic is an issue because 1. Charleston is surrounded by water, marsh, creeks and rivers which chokes the area down to only a few main roads for North-South and East-West travel. Bridges abound, and traffic across bridges seems to naturally be accident prone. 2. The entire area has been exposed to rapid growth. When I moved to Mt. Pleasant in 1979 it had a population of approx. 8K…Now 60K. The rest of the area has had similar pop. explosion. I have 2 single sons in your age group and they have active social lives that focus on the downtown and east cooper(Mt. Pleasant, Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Is.)areas. Folly Beach bills itself as the “edge of America” and it is way out and isolated from the rest of Charleston. Park Circle is in North Charleston, and very close to the industrialized “neck area”, but it is being gentrified and reclaimed by young families due to the lower cost of housing. Hanahan is close by to the Park Circle area and has pockets of affordable housing as well…but again the surrounding area is a little edgy. James Island has undergone the same growth as Mt. Pleasant but less restrictive building codes that makes it more eclectic and random, and John’s Island is resisting the trend and has large parcels of rural land for now. The growth trend is moving North above Mt. Pleasant along Hwy 17, while the Southern end of Hwy 17 below Charleston not nearly as much. Comparing Carolina Beach, NC to this area you would be hard pressed to avoid a “city type” residence that is compatible with a full time job. The fish are the same everywhere you go around here, it’s just a matter of putting in the time and finding “your spots”. I will confirm that the Northern stretch of the Intracoastal Waterway above the Isle of Palms has the least amount of pressure from run off pollution, human waste, and boat traffic which means cleaner water, and in my opinion

Thanks Bossdog. Thats a great rundown of the area.

I will be in town for the day wednesday and plan on checking out several areas mentioned.

Bosun, I’m from Goldsboro by way of Harkers Island…lived in Mount Pleasant for the past six years.

The traffic here is no big issue these days. Don’t worry about what anyone else says…when you make a trip down you’ll see for yourself. I live up in northern MtP (just north of Hwy.41) and it’s under a 20 minute drive to the Ravenel Bridge. Seriously, I believe it’s better than Wilmington…so if you’re used to that, then you’ll have no issues here.

I hear alot of people who say they avoid MtP traffic at all costs. Those people haven’t been to MtP lately. The truth is that we have some of the easiest flowing traffic in the Charleston area.

I’m bias to the rivers/water around folly/james/johns island/downtown. So if i had to pick as a 28 yr old single guy i’d rent in Riverland Terrace. Don’t even have to leave the neighborhood to put in the boat, pretty central to Folly and Mt P. Plenty of rentals over there is different price ranges.

Bosun, I moved here from Topsail Beach a few years ago. Do yourself a favor and live in MtP. I grew up in the Wrightsville Beach/Morehead scene. It’s nothing like that, but still good stuff going on here. Send me a PM if you want.

“There’s a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning” -J. Buffett

Carolina Beach…first place I caught a saltwater fish (Croaker off the pier). My aunt and uncle (Louis Huffer) lived on Charlotte street and my Grandparents (Ray Godbout) lived on Carolina ave. I spent many summers fishing off the Carolina beach pier and Kure beach pier. We use to fish in front of Fort Fisher for Flounder when I was a kid. I use to love taking the ferry to southport.

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Sellsfish,

It probably hasn’t changed much since last time you visited. There are still lots of flounder in front of Fort Fisher and the ferry ride to Southport is beautiful as ever!