Moving to South Carolina

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick
quote:
Originally posted by reellatitude

thanks for the vote of confidence y’all. I think minus the accent I fit in better down south then up north then again Im getting to old to worry about the whole “fit in” thing just ask most my clothes. The sound of a 50 going off is the universal language

Doesn’t matter how well you think you fit in or not because once a “native” knows you’re a transplant, they won’t let you forget it.

“…be a man and PM me.”

We recently hired on a welder from Jersey… He has fitted in well and takes all the ribbing we give him with a loving heart! Gotta have thick skin with some of us down here!

Welcome to the sight!

The optimal boat used to fish offshore around here has been discussed quit often, all you really need are tidal rails and an epirb and you can fish anything. ~~ :smiley:

quote:

Ouch, kinda like a kidney? Moving to the Charleston area not sure anyone there actually is a “native” anymore. Im up north in Moncks so a few more natives up that way but man been coming to SC for a lot of years and its changed a lot.

I’m the fourth generation on my father’s side, eighth on my mother’s. I’m a Charleston native.

I’m tired of all the people moving here too, but can’t blame them. I’ve been all over the world, and nothing beats this place. I’ll die here.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Angler Mgt: here’s some reference material for you on trolling areas off CHS. It will help you get acclimated to the offshore areas people here discuss. Also, pick up a copy of the “MAPS UNIQUE” originally started by Capt Chip Berry… it has a ton of the info you need for offshore fishing.

32 47.485,-78 19.378,Winyah Scarp,WINSCARP
32 34.389,-78 35.671,Georgetown Hole,GTH 64nm@98d
32 29.811,-78 47.806,Southwest Banks,SWBANKS
32 20.770,-79 02.900,The Ledge,THELEDGE
32 08.321,-79 17.468,Royal Terrace,ROYLTRC
32 08.320,-78 58.030,Ammo Dump,AMMODMP
32 07.537,-78 56.688,380 Hole,380HOLE
32 00.686,-79 05.773,226 Hole,226HOLE 55nm@140d
32 03.746,-79 24.401,Edisto Banks,EDSTOBNX
31 32.961,-79 43.493,The Deli,DELI 65nm@119 Brighton Beach / Bluffton
31 39.700,-79 39.600,Old NOAA Bouy,NOAABOUY
31 33.838,-79 40.667,Sow Pen,SOWPEN
31 21.525,-79 50.403,The Deep Water Wreck,DEEPWREK
31 16.769,-79 52.069,The Triple Ledge,TRIPLDGE
31 06.416,-79 55.300,The South Ledge,S-LEDGE

A lot of people here like the Pioneer line of boats. If you can find a Contender style boat that you like, that would be an awesome choice also.

Welcome to the South. You’ll have to use a knife to cut thru the BS and the humidity here.

Capt. Garry Coats
Folly Beach & CHS
@DolphinChartersSC

would be glad to help you get set-up for fishing in sc private message if interested

Myrtle Beach is the best place in South Carolina. You should move there.

Key West 2300 Bluewater

Cut my teeth Fishing New England waters and around Montauk out of point Judith Rhode Island. Got stationed down here in the Marine Corps 1984 never went home. I still catch quite a bit of the anti-Yankee bull****, but I just smile and out fish them… Send me a PM if you want to hook up .

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Love the Montauk fishing pulled plenty of Stripers out of Montauk. I spent most of my time offshore Southern Long Island from the tip of the canyon out to 100 square and the elbow fishing Yellow Fin, Big eye and Swords. Gonna miss some of it but I always loved the Charleston area and looking forward to fishing it. Unfortunately Im stuck up North packing the house and boat won’t be delivered until the summer doldrums in July but it will give me some time to work out the bugs. No problems with the Yankee crap I can take it and dish it Im home wherever I am and dont expect to have any problems fishing with the best of the natives once I get my feet wet. Ill definitely PM you and hook up. Thanks

I wonder how the southern man would be received up north if he couldn’t hack it down here and had to move up there?You know,if the shoe was on the other foot.

Well, there is this former Marine from Rhode Island who has done very well for himself down here. Now what is his name? Oh yes Sellsfish! So it is possible.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Im a transplant from the south (New Orleans)and moved up here to the north 15 years ago.I have been pleasantly surprised how little pressure there is on the fishing here and those that do fish are often very informative and generous with the local fishing knowledge. Lots of cruising and sand bar activity but not a lot of hard core fisherman or at least compared to south Louisiana. It really depends on what kind of fishing you want to do. You might find that the inshore fishing here is something new to try if you are used to offshore. We are fortunate to have very good inshore, nearshore and offshore fishing here that can be done year round.IMO Best boats for around these waters are faster cc due to the longer runs offshore. Weather is fairly predictable so curtains usually suffice for getting out of the cold/rain. If you are looking at one all around boat, a 25-30ft cc will allow you to run around inshore as well as get to the offshore spots as long as you pay attention to the seas.I have a 27ft seahunt that Im thinking of selling if interested.
An express would be nice as well but probably a bit slower but also more protection from the elements. Not as versatile inshore but great for a dedicated offshore sled. Id be happy to discuss further.

36 ft Yellowfin Yamaha Trip 300
27 ft Seahunt Yamaha Twin 200

Redfish are the backbone of our inshore fishery. You can catch them from. 4inches long to 4ft and from 4inches of water to 80ft. I wouldnt worry about not being from around here ita a friendly place.

quote:
Originally posted by tridogs

Im a transplant from the south (New Orleans)and moved up here to the north 15 years ago.I have been pleasantly surprised how little pressure there is on the fishing here and those that do fish are often very informative and generous with the local fishing knowledge.

I am very curious as to what part of the north you are referring to. All the fishing I have done up in Jersey it has had a lot of pressure especially when the striped bass are running and most all are very tight lipped as to where to fish.

I meant here to the north relative to south Louisiana. For the first few years living in South Carolina, I wasn’t sure we hadn’t moved to Ohio or New Jersey. Sorry for the confusion.quote]Originally posted by Myrtleman44

quote:

Im a transplant from the south (New Orleans)and moved up here to the north 15 years ago.I have been pleasantly surprised how little pressure there is on the fishing here and those that do fish are often very informative and generous with the local fishing knowledge.

I am very curious as to what part of the north you are referring to. All the fishing I have done up in Jersey it has had a lot of pressure especially when the striped bass are running and most all are very tight lipped as to where to fish.
[/quote]

Gotcha LOL First time I have ever heard of SC being north. Sorry for the laugh.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

Ouch, kinda like a kidney? Moving to the Charleston area not sure anyone there actually is a “native” anymore. Im up north in Moncks so a few more natives up that way but man been coming to SC for a lot of years and its changed a lot.

I’m the fourth generation on my father’s side, eighth on my mother’s. I’m a Charleston native.

I’m tired of all the people moving here too, but can’t blame them. I’ve been all over the world, and nothing beats this place. I’ll die here.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Did all those people high five each other when you told him you were staying in South Carolina? Asking for 7cs.

I am new to this board, moved to Summerville from NC. Fished out of Morehead quite a bit.
Capt. Garry, thanks for providing the tips on fishing spots and addressing the newcomers questions !

After living in Texas for 16 years, 1990 to 2006, I came to learn that some Texans consider anyone who lives north of I-10 a yankee. That is a new perspective to ponder isn’t it :slight_smile:

2000 Trophy 2352
Summerville, SC

quote:
Originally posted by sman

I wonder how the southern man would be received up north if he couldn’t hack it down here and had to move up there?You know,if the shoe was on the other foot.

Having been forced into that situation, you won’t get them to openly wave at you, but the Northern area i was in many great people if you took the time to get to know them. Maybe just a more reserved than a true raised Southerner.

Come to think of it, not many wave from behind the windshield like we all used to.

quote:

I meant here to the north relative to south Louisiana. For the first few years living in South Carolina, I wasn’t sure we hadn’t moved to Ohio or New Jersey. Sorry for the confusion.quote]Originally posted by Myrtleman44

quote:

[/quote]

We get guides that complain when someone pulls to the same dock to fish, those kind of inconsiderate acts ( i agree with the guides… move on lots of water to fish) don’t hold a candle to the fights that break out on the Jersy shores over stripers…

Our fishing culture etiquette will only get worse as population grows

I lived in St Augustine for almost 20 Years. We accepted the I-4 corridor, Daytona to Tampa, as the borders between Georgia and New Jersey.

Welcome to Charleston. Been here since the day I saw first light and will die here. Lots of folks coming here. We only ask you to remember that here is here and there is there. Everyplace has a way about it that the locals prefer not to change.

I agree with a mix of offshore and inshore fishing. We are blessed with a great boating community.

As for boats, all this talk about center consoles makes me want to point out that a cat boat is a great option. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, look at a Freeman. That is one amazing fishing machine. If you budget restrained a World cat is a fine fishing platform. It is very comfortable offshore, can handle nasty weather all day and can get in very skinny water.

Like I said welcome to Charleston and I look forward to seeing y’all on the water.

World Cat 266SC
Scout 15.5