Mullet caught on hook

I’ve had fried mullet in Pensacola. It wasn’t half bad.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I’m

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
I wonder if the biscuit dough would be productive enough to try with a 5-year old.

Yes sir. My son caught a lot of mullet and bream on bread dough when he was 5. If you make your own dough balls add a little sugar and vanilla extract. They like vanilla :wink:

quote:
They would also go at night, take a sheet of roofing tin and put between two boats and shine a spot light on the tin. The mullet would jump at the light and bounce in the boat.

I used to catch them commercially in the 60’s. We would use 2 boats, usually wooden bateaus then, and pull one behind the other. In the rear boat we would secure upright bamboo poles bow and stern and stretch a white bed sheet between. Then hang a Coleman lantern on each pole and tow the boat down small creeks at low tide. Mullet hit the sheet and fall in the boat. The trick was knowing when to turn off the lights or you could sink the boat with fish. Stacked them to the gunwales. I think we got a dime a pound, but I could bring in 1,000 pounds easy. Good money for a teenager in the 1960’s.:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

The sheet method works offshore also for Flyers, we would attach sheet on Rocket Launcher from Fly Bridge down to the Fighting Chair, cut on the 200 watt spreaders and flyers would hit sheet and fall in

Caught one once on a Christmas tree grub about ten years ago, thought he was a trout before I got him up.