Mullet caught on hook

Went out to Wando with a friend on Sunday. It was cold and windy. Caught about 15 trout and one red. Most of them were too small which is consistent with the info I got from a DNR officer last week. The funniest thing is that I caught a mullet on Trout Trick! I never knew I could catch mullets without using the net! Have any of you experienced this before? Maybe the mullet was just too hungry :smiley:?

Wow! Never seen that. Heard of it though

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

further proof that the trout trick can catch anything!

I hooked on on a mirrodine in FL. Right in the face. I’m pretty sure I snagged it.
It was about 23" and fought like a red of the same size. I actually thought that’s what I had.

It doesn’t look like that one is snagged.

Mako 1901 Inshore-Honda 130
10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

My father and uncle’s use to catch them by the hundreds fishing the combahee in the sixty’s and seventies. They would use red worms and fish the rice fields.
I haven’t done it in 10yrs or so, but when the mussles die and float to the top in the summer you can catch them on the Santee river. Fun to catch on ultra light.

War Eagle 115 yamaha 4 stroke

They will definitely take a hook further up the Cooper. I sat at Arrowhead landing once and caught a good dozen of them. HUGE mullet. I’m not sure if they are the same specie or not. I filleted and ate a few of them, were actually quite tasty. Reminded me of spots.

Got to fish with the cork VERY shallow, no sinker. Let them play with it for a few seconds before setting the hook. They will not usually submerge the bobber, just tow it around. Used redworms, like Blackhawk said.

The funny part was, I got into a bit of an argument with a guy at Atkin’s landing about two weeks later. He told me that I was catching gizzard shad, and “there aint no way in hell you’re catching mullet in the lakes, I’ve fished these lakes all my life and aint never seen a single mullet”.

The only thing I can figure is that the only mullet he had ever see in his life was the one Ric Flair had in the late 80’s.

Nobody attacks The Nature Boy. Take that back.

Pod, didn’t Rick’s son-in-law beat the S*** out of him a few years ago[:0]:face_with_head_bandage: I’ll bet he had a few choice things to say while he was knocking him around? Whoooooooo

quote:
Originally posted by blackhawk961

My father and uncle’s use to catch them by the hundreds fishing the combahee in the sixty’s and seventies. They would use red worms and fish the rice fields.
I haven’t done it in 10yrs or so, but when the mussles die and float to the top in the summer you can catch them on the Santee river. Fun to catch on ultra light.

That’s nostalgia. Dad and I caught many on a gold hook with a red worm 6" under a cork with no weight around some back water near Bluff. Or should I give the secret and say 1/2 to 1/4 of a red worm?

Dad loved them fried fresh, and I guess I did too.

you can also snag them with a weighted treble hook. Used to see it alot around the st marks river in FL.

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]

Hey EASY, That’s his EX son-in-law. The guy is re-married. Ric’s daughter is now a pro wrestler. She’s arguably the best athlete of the 3 kids.

Trout Trick still sounds better than Mullet Trick. Pretty cool though.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

He attacked the bait like a red fish, strong and wild. He must be either very hungry or mad at that time. Maybe he got his gene mutated!

We used to catch a lot of them using bread balls, or biscuit dough balls for bait.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Wish I knew how to catch them when I was down in Weeki Wachee. Huge schools of them run up and down the river

quote:
That's nostalgia. Dad and I caught many on a gold hook with a red worm 6" under a cork with no weight around some back water near Bluff. Or should I give the secret and say 1/2 to 1/4 of a red worm?

Dad loved them fried fresh, and I guess I did too.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

My Father and uncle’s would drive from Bamburg to catch them. They would Salt and smoke them. They would also cut the heads off leaving the gutts attached and freeze them for the fall and winter. They would come back and catch “BIGGG” rockfish (stripers).
They would also go at night, take a sheet of roofing tin and put between two boats and shine a spot light on the tin. The mullet would jump at the light and bounce in the boat. I never did that, but I bet it would be wild. I have had them jump in the boat while fishing though.

I wonder if the biscuit dough would be productive enough to try with a 5-year old. My son would go bonkers if we could get into some mullet. Would be great fun on ultralight tackle and 4lb line.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

I have never tried it but was told folks used spanish moss to catch them. I think they said they would wet it and roll into ball and fish on a small #6 gold hook.

quote:
I wonder if the biscuit dough would be productive enough to try with a 5-year old.

Yes sir. My son caught a lot of mullet and bream on bread dough when he was 5. If you make your own dough balls add a little sugar and vanilla extract. They like vanilla :wink:

quote:
They would also go at night, take a sheet of roofing tin and put between two boats and shine a spot light on the tin. The mullet would jump at the light and bounce in the boat.

I used to catch them commercially in the 60’s. We would use 2 boats, usually wooden bateaus then, and pull one behind the other. In the rear boat we would secure upright bamboo poles bow and stern and stretch a white bed sheet between. Then hang a Coleman lantern on each pole and tow the boat down small creeks at low tide. Mullet hit the sheet and fall in the boat. The trick was knowing when to turn off the lights or you could sink the boat with fish. Stacked them to the gunwales. I think we got a dime a pound, but I could bring in 1,000 pounds easy. Good money for a teenager in the 1960’s.:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I seen a couple of old pro’s wear mullet and shell crackers out in the rice field’s a couple year’s ago using red worms.
Furthermore, mullet are delicious when smoked> Tight lines?