Multi-pro tailgate and B&W adjustable hitches and issues

Like a lot of people I wasn’t sure if I would like the newly designed Multi-pro tailgate on my GMC truck. Its the same on the Chevrolets with this option. After a few months of ownership and getting used to it, I’ll have to say that I’ve actually come to appreciate it and use it on a weekly basis. Disclaimer, I’m a weekend warrior and don’t really use my truck for work except for getting to and from. I connect the boat probably once a week, and a big trailer to move the tractor maybe twice a year. The simple fact is that I don’t need to get inside my bed all that often and the small space that you gain by putting the inner portion of the tailgate down let’s me reach 90% of what I want to get to in the bed. So, I’m a fan, but I realize its not for everyone and not everyone uses their beds in the same manner.

My biggest original complaint about the new tailgate was the fact that I couldn’t put a hitch in the receiver AND use the tailgate step feature. With a conventional hitch installed, if you lower the tailgate you’d hit the hitch and damage your surly very expensive tailgate. And no one wants that. I don’t know how much a new tailgate is, but I’m guessing a few grand. Well, after some searching online I found a hitch made by B&W for this particular application. And yes, they make it in the 2" receiver (1500) and the 2.5" receiver (2500). You never have to remove the hitch, just pull pin, rotate around out of the way, reinstall pin and you’re good to go. Plus, no more hitting your shins, so there’s that.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/multipro-tow-stow

After I got this hitch, I quickly realized that I didn’t like the standard locking pin that I’ve had in the past. This hitch is big and heavy duty and will knock around as you accelerate/brake/go over speed bumps. Its a small thing, but carrying the boat to the ramp with the windows down you can hear this locking pin allowing knocking. I know its fine, but the noise bo

I tried to post a picture 5 times and then it worked, but know that this website is terrible.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

You can’t hide money.

I only said that cuz I knew Peapod would if I didn’t.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I like what those tailgates are capable of, just wondered if, with so many moving parts if they would start to rattle after a couple years.

I have that B & W hitch on my 2500 for awhile and no rattling that I have noticed.

When I bought it, I bought the locking pin that keys to your truck key the first time you stick it in and turn.

So cool! No extra keys!

NN

The only thing I like about that tail gate is the ad on TV…Walter the cat.

Too many points to fail.

You need a step up…throw a ladder in the back.

Pea pad…you up.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

I thought that too…but the longer you have it…its awfully convenient.

And that pin doesn’t work on this hitch. It only works on hitches that have a hollow shaft. The B&W is solid.

My truck doesn’t have a key…but I agree, that would be very nice.

What DF said

Also thanks for the explanation. We were wondering an your thoughts on the new bed design. Take the rest of the day off

I’ll come over there and knock the fries out of your hand…

:smiley:

Cage match?

He slapped the fries outta my hand many times

I looked for the video on YouTube, couldn’t find it.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9QNlVZqp90