Music stores?

Does anybody know of a music store in Charleston or Columbia that has a good selection of banjos? Not just one or two crammed so far back in the corner you can’t even get to them.

Bill’s Pickin Parlor in Columbia.

Thanks. I’ll give them a call.

Possibly looking at getting a banjo and trying to learn how to play it a little bit, but I’m a total music novice and need some help with what to buy to start. Most typical music stores can’t help at all with banjos so I’m trying to find some folks who specialize in them.

What Scoobie said. I believe they also still have a big “Pickin’” Night every Friday night. Folks just show up and they have an impromptu concert, guitars, banjos, mandolins, etc…

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Ye Olde Music on Yeaman’s Hall Rd, had 5-6 the last time I was in there… He’s the only one in town that carries a little more than your run of the mill Fender Mexi-Strat and Epiphone Les Paul. They just got in some Eastman Mandonlins the last I was there a few weeks ago. Every now and then he gets some cool stuff in on consignment. Thats where I landed the mandolin I play now.

Never been to Bill’s but have heard good things of it… but, no beers. Folly Beach Bluegrass Society has a weekly jam at Island Grill (FB) every Thursday night from 8 to 10-ish. It’s consistently pretty good and really laid back. Talent ranging from former and current touring bluegrass pickers to beginners. You should check it out. On more than a few accounts I remember thinking to my self that I never knew there could/should be so many banjers in the same room at the same time.

If you ain’t retie’n, you aint try’n!

“it don’t pay to think too much on things you’ve left behind”- townes van zandt

Try the Guitar Shop/Music Shop on Rivers Ave. across from the Northwoods Mall.

Double D.

There is a guitar shop in Hanahan, http://yeoldemusicshop.com/ Place has been around forever.

Sorry, didn’t have time to elaborate when I posted the first time. Last time I was in Bill’s, they quite a few banjos for sale, everything from a beginner to expert. I took lessons there 20 years ago but it didn’t stick. I’m sure they could hook you up with an instructor, I don’t think my guy worked for them directly, they just let him use the space. Still got my banjo, hopefully the kid will pick it up one day. I’ll stick with my bagpipes. What a jam session that would be.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in Beech Island, so getting to some of these jams may be difficult. Especially the weekday stuff.

I actually stumbled on and (almost) settled on a used banjo in Augusta so I don’t have to travel far to look. I’m meeting them after work today. It’s a Fender FB300…I realize they get very mixed reviews and are considered total junk by those in the know, but heck, I’m only paying $100 for it and found a couple people in Augusta to do a setup for about $45. We’ll put on a better bridge and good strings. Should be sufficient to learn on and if I just can’t get the hang of it then I’m not out much at all.

Musicians Exchange in Goose Creek.