My first wahoo!

I was invited to go fishing with some friends yesterday (5-7) and was fortunate enough to get off work. We were trolling and filling the cooler pretty much all day. It was early in the afternoon, blackfins and flying fish everywhere, even saw a marlin. Suddenly the starboard side short rigger went off. My friend Matt set the drag while I put on the belt.

I grabbed the pole and the drag was screaming. I thought for sure it was a blackfin as we had recently caught 3. There was something different about this one though, it kept screaming out the drag on the International 30.

I started the winching process and in about 10 minutes we could see color in the water. This is when the wahoo decided to quit playing with me and took off for what seemed forever. I stood there watching the spool turn at an unbelievable rate. It took off far and deep.

Pump and crank, pump and crank for another 10 mins and we got another look. Long and shiny. He must have seen me too and off to the races again! My arms were beyond burning. I was spent but I kept on. A total of 5 runs and a good half hour, maybe 45 mins later I got the leader to the rod. Matt grabbed the gaff and 1 good shot had him on the boat.

I felt like laying on the deck beside the wahoo. It was by far the biggest fish battle I have ever had. I could not imagine what a big sword or marlin would be like. This thing was like pulling a pallet of cinder blocks through the water.

We never did weigh or measure it as we came back to the dock late and we all had to go to work the next day.

A great big thanks the Les and Gina! Also the best ballyhoo rigger around, Matt.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude
14’ Stumpnocker
15 Rude

Awesome fish! Congrats! It will make great memories and table fare!

~LiVe LiFe On ThE EdGe~

Rebel Ryder
180 GRADYWHITE
150 YAMI

Awesome catch!!! Nothing like your first! Who needs the gym when you going fishing all the time.LOL

Capt.Ric Fish On!

Matt did great fighting that fish. He learned alot & got to go home with a bunch of fish.

21 Contender

Nice gaff shot. Beautiful fish.

Great fish and an amazing gaff stick with the gaff. Way to go!

that hoo nail the bottom of your shorts too lol

“Good things come to those who bait”

quote:
Originally posted by phinfreak09

that hoo nail the bottom of your shorts too lol

Those are my lucky fishing shorts. They have been through hell and I will wear them til they look like a man thong :smiley:

This should be proof they work. They are also good for cooler out shrimping.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude
14’ Stumpnocker
15 Rude

nothin wrong with that boss