My Friend Ben

Since it’s 5 and Done time, decided to take my new acquaintance Ben Parker out and see what we could do. Fortunately, also invited Dean.

Windy and rough on my humps around Goat and actually found no fish at all off of any of my regular humps so fished off a point by the water treatment plant (mostly out of the wind) and a channel in Ballentine. For the most part it was 38-42 feet of water. Put 5 keepers in the boat, the biggest 24 inches, and had as many throw the big spoon. Also took a while to catch onto the meaning of the line going slack on the downfall.

All in all it was a good day except for Dean’s first fish when he kept the line tight while removing the hook from the fish and the spoon slung right thru my upper lip. Fortunately he was able to crush the barb and we got it out. Went back to fishing and had more action. I’ll probably put a new hook on BP.

Wow. That could have been a lot worse! Glad it was just your lip.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

i cant believe you didnt get a picture of that

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

no pictures, no weigh in - was probably a World Record

Pioneer 197SF

Really could have been worse. Glad you’re ok.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

Concur with all remarks. With no slack in the line and Dean being so quick really had no time to react. If one’s going to be so careless or foolish to be hooked by a big 8" Ben Parker, thru the lip is probably the best place to do it. That being said really impressed by what that big spoon delivers. It’s a great addition to any striper arsenal.

Planning ahead, because it’s bound to happen, I’m going to make a lure retriever.

I’ve never had any luck with spoons. A couple of short strikes and that’s it. I know I need to spend more time with it.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

Back by myself, same spot Tuesday morning. Marked lots of fish, almost continuously. Had four in the boat and had missed four at the boat by 0830. Biggest was 27 inches pictured next to BP.

Michael, you get them jigging or power reeling?

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

andy at lake murray hardware used to carry a nice retriever. i dont know if he still has them, but that things has saved MANY of my umbrella rigs and various lures.

Proline 201WA

I may be too old and don’t have the stamina for power reeling so Tim, I’ve just been keeping the spoon down below where I’m marking the fish and then ripping it up thru them. Fish finder indicates about a five foot path of the spoon. I think most strikes are coming on the freefall. Unfortunately, after about an hour and a half my back starts going out from the ripping and it’s time to quit. Getting old is the pits.

Retriever I’m going to try and make is a 75 foot rope (all I need), a carbuncle, and 6 to 8 pieces of chain (that can fit on the carbuncle and in my case half of them 10 inches long and the other half 12 inches). One then goes directly over the snag, put the line thru the carbuncle, then lower it down and jiggle it till one of the chains grabs a hook.

Michael, it’s great to see you having success with the BP! Since my next party isn’t until Saturday, I’m picking up just a dozen herring in the morning and primarily using the spoon since I’ll be solo.

James “Captain Fog” Lindler
Team Hardcore
Xpress HB-22
F150 4 Stroke Yammy Jammer
For guide service, search fogmanfisheries on Facebook.

warning for everyone reading this: DONT google search images for a carbuncle.

Proline 201WA

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

warning for everyone reading this: DONT google search images for a carbuncle.

Proline 201WA

Well it got my curiosity as well…
:dizzy_face: i think Michael meant carabiner, at least i hope so :stuck_out_tongue:

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

Sorry about that. I meant well.:smiley:

Mike, you’ll cut down on your “lost” fish if you put a swivel in between the spoon and the treble hook …

This allows the spoon to spin without pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth …

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Great idea! Thanks for the heads up!