My Garden Today

Beyond helpful, thanks a lot!

i’m glad y’all brought this up. i tried potatoes for the first time in march too, and noticed over the weekend that the plants are starting to yellow and droop. I was worried, but I guess it’s time to go digging!

what happens if i have to leave them in the ground for a while because they’re intertwined with the roots of my tomatoes and peppers?

chanterelles are out on james island since saturday, i’m going hunting after work!

I leave mine in the ground until I gets cold, long after the above ground plant has died and been mowed over.

Not sure about the heat, bugs, humidity, etc… around Charleston as far as leaving them so long

Giving the potatoes time to wilt, some are yellow and some still look normal but getting leggy

Full swing for pickle season, just started picking cherry tomatoes

@PondsFisherman I’d be curious how your taters turned out!

My tops are still greenish, waiting for more wilting. However, this is my best crop of cukes ever, I need a good pickle recipe!

1 Like

I’ve been using this-ish with lots of garlic, dill and red pepper. Just fridge pickles, not real canning

Bay leaves are for the tannins that keep cukes crisp, but live oak and grape leaves are also loaded with tannins and work equally well imo. Cheaper since I’ve got a couple million of them in my backyard

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for sharing…I’ll try this recipe later this week!

Gladly!

I just realized that recipe doesn’t even have bay leaves in it but I do 2-3 of whatever per jar

My kids prefer the same treatment minus the coriander, mustard, red pepper, and half the garlic… but I likes em bitey

I did some work today. This is a first try for me. Chicken manure instead of store bought fertilizer, about a ton or so. Check back in on 120 day mark.

Gonna let it martinate for a month and then plant pumpkins on top of it. We’ll see!

2 Likes

Few friends have been picking for weeks already, my scraggly little vines are putting out a handful

Ricky, did you rent or own that trailer??

I have a huge amount of mulch I would like to get moved a few hundred yards to fields…not feasible one tractor bucket at a time.

Edit to say, as you know, get that PH right or the uptake of nutrients can be largely diminished…

Nice work, just my .02.

Thanks
NN

Hey B, hope this will work on Okra…about to have a load of it…

Thanks for this.

NN

That’s my trailer. 16’ hydraulic dump big tex.
You don’t know how much you need one until you have one.

Bwang, I have a bunch of wild blackberries just staring to ripen now at my place. Come out and get them!

Always pick a handful when on the tractor, but never really mess with them anymore than that. 99.9% go to the birds

Thanks! You trying watermelons this year?

This was a lot of fun just now, kids didn’t wanna dig up the first plant so my wife had a little Easter egg hunt instead. 3 more plants to go!

That Turkey Duck sure did a nice job keeping her nest protected.

Hope they all make it!!

I showed the younguns, they are excited to know that one of the Muscovys they probably fed has a litter

I’d definitely keep some if I had a little water, silent tree ducks would suit me nicely

That’s a biggun there chief
Lack of rain has really hurt my garden
I’m gonna put in some irrigation pipe next year
I say that every year.haha
Where was that feed store located?

1 Like