My Garden Today

I usually like to wait for a cold snap too, but these are for Turkey day and time is getting short. I will freeze them up after we eat a few tonight. I barely put a dent in them.

1 Like

Now that’s what I call a collard patch! I accidentally bought some broccoli along with the collards

3 Likes

Gleaning cabbage fields. These are Stone Head cabbage they left behind because they were too small in October to harvest.

The secret is to wait until after the first freeze in November and get the hard ones, or Stone Heads. Its like collards, they need a good cold tempering.

They will keep in the dark spare fridge until easter, about 100 pounds in the bank.

Cabbage for stocking stuffers? Beats coal and switches I suppose.

Gonna need some more mayo

2 Likes

You lucky dog

Say goodbye to these on Tuesday night, BIL has a stand with a little green bunch of bananas on every plant… but for the 2nd year of trying he’ll get no fruit. He’s got a bunch of ginger growing in that plot too

His last Cherokee purples will get pickled green, that’ll be a post soon too

1 Like

HJere we go again.

The asparagus is always the first thing to come. It’s usually mid April, tax time, but nobody told this guy

Put in 200 onions this morning too, 100 red and 100 yellow.

Groceries getting spendy, especially for a poor old dirt farmer like myself…

1 Like

2 Likes

been raining so much, and boat stuff

this is the latest I’ve got started in…well, maybe ever.

early stuff like onions and last year’s leftover taters in the ground, so there’s that. It’ll likely rot with all this rain.

We call it mud season, starts around March 1st and lasts until any day now

Disked a week ago, hopefully till and plant the staples next week.

That’s all I got for now

2 Likes

It can take up to 10 years to get fruit from a paw paw tree,now you know.

These trees are 7 years old, and looks like the first year I will have enough to harvest this fall.

These are babys

1 Like

EF playing the long game, wouldn’t know a paw paw if it hit me in the face. You make preserves or what?

You got asparagus too right?

Short game is crankin, but we got 90’s coming next week… soon to be tomato and pepper time

2 Likes

1 Like

that’s good stuff right there, never better than fresh picked

That, plus the grocery bill anymore is higher than cheech

Not sure whether to laugh or cry…

2 Likes

Cleared out the cellar this afternoon from last year’s spuds.

I’ll keep a bushel of the best ones to eat between now and fall harvest, I’ll plant a bushel tomorrow, and the rest will magically become tater-juice vodka.

Awesome haul! I planted my first ever batch in early March…from everything I read/seen on YT, around 120 days or when the leaves start dying, that’s time for harvest? My leaves are getting brown and the stalks are starting to droop now…I don’t want to harvest too early or too late, any advice would be very helpful and appreciated!

You can “gravel” a few plants and see. Graveling is when you dig a smallish hole into the side of a hill and rob a few potatoes. Not only will you get a few to eat now, but youll get a good idea of whats up under there.

I usually dig my potatoes late in the fall, but down there in that heat I’d guess you need to dig them when the plants are dying, brown, wilted, and almost dead.

When the above ground plant is dead, the potatoes are fully developed. When the above ground plant is fully flowered you can start to gravel a few new potatoes.

Hope that helps

1 Like