My Garden Today

I hope EF gets everything in
A lot of rain makes everything taste worse
My figs and muscadines just started coming in and they taste less than perfect

Supposed to stop raining tomorrow, more worried about the wind blowing the peaches off before I get to them

I pulled the plums a day or two early, the skin will crack on them in big rain worse than a tomatoe

1 Like

Had to throw out a peck, got a peck with bad spots to clean up next, and these are ripening up over the next few days to a week.

Jam up and jelly tight next. Dang they smell good when I walk in

2 Likes

I’d like to smell that garage too!

Between beans, fruit and berries, you got me wishing we were less than 111 heat index pretty bad right now

Even my peppers look like crap

How’s your corn this year? I think you had been worried about it early but then y’all got better rains?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I got a buddy here who is interested in a couple paw paw seeds if the fruit comes in this season

Not sure if they’d grow on JI, he’s from Barnwell. You got yours from Fred67 right?

No, I put some seeds under cold striation for Fred, but they didn’t sprout. The seeds have to go thru that process. Those were from the first year of fruit, so that might be the problem.

The ones this year look bigger, better, and more like what a mature paw paw should look like.

I got mine from gurneys, it’s a seed and plant company online.

You need two trees and they have to come from different rootstock for them to bear fruit as mature trees. That’s why I got mine from gurneys way back when? So anyway, if the ones I tried to sprout for Fred did work, he’d still need another rootstock for it to do as nature intended.

That was before I knew how to find them and where they live, around here anyway. Now I know a few different patches where a person could snatch a sapling here and there.

Paw Paw 101

edited to add,first two ears of corn for supper tonight. It’ll start this week and with 3 staggered plantings I’ll be deeper in corn than that scarecrow in the field on Wizard of Oz when ToTo peed on his leg, lol

1 Like

This stuff is like crack to a poor old dirt farmer. My favorite of all the garden “stuff”.

3 gallons, in the bank

Another gallon in the bank

Yo @sman , here’s a pic of the slump test on this batch

1 Like

Yo EF,
you got recipe’s written down or it’s all in that head of yours?

All in my knogan, I’ve been doing it a long time.

Jam is really easy, it’s just (usually) 4 or 5 cups prepared fruit, 4 or 5 cups of sugar, a pack of surejell, and remember that fruit with low acid needs a tablespoon of lemon juice to help the pectin in the surejell kick.

Boil it twice, once with everything except the sugar, add sugar and boil again.

Put hot jam in jars and dunk them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

That’s it, works for 95% of all jam recipes.

3 Likes

Peaches and blueberries out, hello corn

Awwwwhh. shucks

1 Like

Two gallons in pints, in the bank

2 Likes

Outstanding
I know how hard it is to grow stuff

Just short of a bushel in the bank

Thanks sman, I know you know

2 Likes

5+ gallons in the bank, plus a big double mess for the next few daze

1 Like

They don’t make them like you anymore

1 Like

Ha, not you either sir.

I know very few guys anymore with the stones to grab a possum or coon by the scruff while talking pictures of it too.

I need a break. We went fishing Tuesday thru Thursday, and you can add a garden to that list of time and tide waiting for no one.

Fall is almost here, my favorite time of year, ,most of the work is done and fishing and hunting come on strong.

Good times

1 Like