My Garden Today

Two gallons in the bank

One gallon in jam, one gallon frozen for future reference

1 Like

That’s some nice work sir, many rewards for your toils!

looks like a norf cackalacky flatty

Yes sir, from the hook area in sight of the cape lookout lighthouse.

We probably caught 2 dozen that day, but none legal to keep yet.

NC is doing 2 days this year on flatties, both during the first week of September if I am not mistaken.

It’s a lot like the ARS season in SC, limited fishing days usually on weekdays.

Tell Ms Barbawang I have some jam for her too

I would tell you what bait we used for the flounder, but I’d worry the containers of harbor shrimp might stop, lol.

she’s excited!

if you’re a diligent angler with low to middlin skills like me, you use the smallest shrimp for bait first. that way, you either run outta shrimp and you got lots of fish to take home, or the bite sucks and you eat the best part of your bait

bout time to break out the taped net and see what’s going on out there

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow heirloom tomatoes, tommytoe tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, butternut squash, onions, crookneck squash, zucchini, and now I gotta go pick a half bushel of pole beans.

Oh joy, I can’t wait for late September. I’m gonna make some fish, ducks, deers, and pigs pay dearly, lol

Poor Old Dirt Farmer

Levon said it best…

1 Like

3 Likes

Battling the march of the armyworm. Yard is covered with 'em. Garden is in between 1st and 2nd planting (gonna try for more tomatoes, maybe) and the only thing still going strong from the first planting is okra.

Anyone know if armyworms like okra? I guess we’re gonna find out.

Neem oil is your friend and kryptonite to army worms. mix some in a sprayer and spritz plants you dont want them on.

they have eaten my front yard grass. will it work for that too?

Spectracide in a hose end sprayer ( Lowes, Home Depot) will kill then on contact. I`ve used it a few times and it works better than granular pesticide. If you have any fungus issues you can use the Immunox formula which contains both fungicide and insecticide.

Meant to add this is for your lawn.

Last of the middle planting of corn

another couple gallons in the bank

I see corn chowder in my future, lol

^Picture of the Month ^^^^

With all the rain coming the next few days I went ahead and pulled everything with any color. If not they will soak up so much water they’ll crack, and if they don’t crack they won’t be as acidic after the rain.

They’ll ripen up just fine in the window sills

2 Likes

So if my neightbor gives me some okra, and I have a jar of pickle juice… can I just soak them in the juice a few days and have pickled okra? Does it work like that?