My son's Eagle Scout Project Capers Is Bird Blinds

A few years ago, we met a DNR marine biologist and my youngest son fell in like with him. We’d run into him from time to time during fishing or boat show events. Last Fall I asked him if he had any potential Eagle Scout Projects he needed done and he jumped at the chance to get on board - he needed some bird watching blinds and a trail bench on Capers Island.

From there, my son contacted him and the ball toward the project was set in motion. DNR guy wanted to replace some blinds that were in bad condition on the bank of the water impoundment on Capers - he wanted the blinds to have a floor, a bench, a privacy panel to hide birders, an elbow resting table and a roof. The trail bench didn’t need any details.

My son drew up some plans and I refined them in a more understandable blueprint. All the plans went through the Eagle Scout Committee and approval by the DNR guy. All was a go. We met the DNR guy at Lowe’s and bought all the supplies and put them in our yard. Last week we had a Pre-Cut scout day where all the boards were cut to size and sorted by component. Blind 1 items were wrapped in white duct table, Blind 2 items were wrapped with red duct tape.

Friday, I met DNR guy and 2 more DNR folks at Garris Landing and we loaded all the materials into 2 boats.

Saturday, we took all the stuff to Capers Island, offloaded the boats and started the Build.

The Warden and The Scout Master

Not everything went smoothly. A DNR guy left his boat key on his boat gunnel on Friday and lost his boat keys on SeeWee Road. We f

claim

thank you for the work and the post. terrific. thank you again

Excellent project :sunglasses: Excellent raising a son who’s an Eagle Scout too. That’s not easy making Eagle, very few do. Those values will stay with him all his life. Good job!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Very cool and something folks can use and enjoy for years to come. My son is at Star now, working towards Life. He has started thinking about his Eagle project. That was a really good idea!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Great work, and like others have stated, the discipline, skills and memories will last a lifetime.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/