navionics app

I am looking into getting the app for my iPhone since my skiff does not have a gps on it and I would like to use it on other boats when I go with friends. Does anyone have the app? Pros and cons?

17 Carolina Skiff
60 Johnson

my cousin does… i have seen it but i personally dont put allot of trust in it… for me allot of the time i dont have good service so my battery life dosnt exactly last very long… u will be pulling double duty… gps signal/app+general service. have a look at an elite7 or something on those lines… multi purpose and will be apart of the boat/system.

he tried to get me to take him to near shore reef with just a cellphone/navionics app… i basically said im not doing it…
i dont think its bad to have… but i would not soley rely on it… if your with a buddy on another boat and just want to make a mark for a few spots that produce sure.

I use the navionics app on my android and it works great. Every bit as good as the chart plotter and exact same mapping features. I don’t use it as my primary, just a backup, but it would work fine in a kayak. Hard to beat it for $10.

If you need to save battery life put the phone in airplane mode.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

What cracker said. I use mine alot scouting new areas to fish and planning trips. It has tide and current info on it also that helps me plan my trips. Was well worth the $10.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

i have it loaded on my lg tablet–its great --have a ram mount on my boat to hold the tablet securely–once you download the basemaps you want it requires no service to run -pulls off devices gps–start playing with it and you will be impressed with the reliability of it–does pull down my tablet but no problems i just plug it into a 12v charger and keep going–did the upgrade and there is alot of detail ive been missing out on my other maps

84 HYDRA SPORT 1800SS
89 Yamaha 150
‘BAD HABIT’
89 TRACKER 17 TX
MERC 50
‘OL LEAKY’

Get it. It does not work off the cell reception. I have used mine, on an iphone, 30 miles off shore and it was as accurate as the Furnuo on board. It is also good inshore. It gives you tides at all the tidal stations/locations, along with other cool features. Best $10 I’ve spent on an app.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to get it.

17 Carolina Skiff
60 Johnson

Yep - the map downloads to your devices hard drive - no cell or internet service required. I’ve used mine as far out as the Y-73 and Commanchie, worked better and had more standard info than my buddies Garmin - puts us dead on the reefs from the provided data.

Inshore has all the tide stations built in, shows water level and current speed… and has local fishing holes plugged in.

For $15 its a no brainer - and will be a threat to Garmin one day. Once they get a transducer to plug into a USB port… no more 2k electronics packages will be required.

I use the Navionics on my Nexus 7 android to plan trips too while on the road, then use it on the water - best deal there is.

I use it on a 10" android tablet on my Boatskiif, much cheaper than a lowrance with a 10" screen.