Nearshore Kings

Any reports of them showing up on nearshore reefs?

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s

Yes, kings are here. Buddy caught his one today, so I can’t take credit. I was driving the boat.

quote:
Originally posted by fishwater9

Yes, kings are here. Buddy caught his one today, so I can’t take credit. I was driving the boat.

Nice smoker. I trolled a red & white Rapala and a drone spoon over the live bottoms near the 60 after we wore out the black fish today (didn’t spend much time looking for menhaden on the way out). No luck on the kings however. How deep were you when this one was landed?

Sea Fox 186 Commander

quote:
Originally posted by fishwater9

Nice smoker. I trolled a red & white Rapala and a drone spoon over the live bottoms near the 60 after we wore out the black fish today (didn’t spend much time looking for menhaden on the way out). No luck on the kings however. How deep were you when this one was landed?

Sea Fox 186 Commander

We went to the sixty and bumped the bottom as well. On the way back in we saw some Spanish popping in the channel. We decided to chase them around. My two buddies were sight casting for them and I was driving. I decided to drop a red and white xrap behind the boat. Kind of forgot it was back there until the drag started screaming. We were in 33 feet of water when it hit. I remember looking at the depth finder wondering if the xrap snagged the bottom. We were all pleasantly surprised. It was 52 inches and weighed 33 pounds.

I was hoping of anchoring off a nearshore reef if there is any possibility of getting their safely on Saturday and free lining live bait while floating a chum block or two behind the boat a couple kings or Cobia would make the day because we don’t expect much off the bottom.

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s