Need a little help

Does anyone know where or anyone that might be able to help me get some operating knowledge of heavy equipment. Looking at backhoe, track hoe,bobcat and what have you. Have operated front end loader, construction and regular fork lifts. However for the last 33 years I’ve only worked on office equipment. Been out of work for almost 2 years now. Have some limitations as to the amount of manual labor I can do because of back and leg problems. Been looking but just don’t have the experience or time in for anything else. Now we are getting close to losing our home and behind on some of the other bills. Not looking or asking for a hand out, just praying for a chance to learn enough about operating some equipment so I might be able to pick up a job some where. Not expecting to make a whole lot of money all at once but maybe start around $10 hour and work up.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

I have not run any heavy equipment since the 90"s,but can tell you that other than a backhoe,frontend loader or Lull type you use your legs and back a bit.I have never run a trachoe but we had them and the guys had leg and hand controls,Dozers are a definite leg machine.
I wish you the best of luck in your search hope you find something soon/ Are you close to Chas. have you checked into Boeing?? They not only have the main campus by the airport but many assisting companies in this area I believe there are 3-4 on Palmetto commerce blvd, off Ashley Phosphate.You may have tried this route but just a thought,they are adding something seems like every three months.

Yeah sophish, I have checked them out and been told you have to be qualified for their jobs. My back only bothers me when I start lifting on things or doing a lot of bending over. My legs are ok until I squat, kneel or get on the ground and try to stand back up. It’s when I get down and have to push this 250 pound frame back upright.I’ve been driving standard shifts with no problem and working out the legs at the gym. As long as I don’t get in the full squat position it is ok.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

Yeah sophish, I have checked them out and been told you have to be qualified for their jobs. My back only bothers me when I start lifting on things or doing a lot of bending over. My legs are ok until I squat, kneel or get on the ground and try to stand back up. It’s when I get down and have to push this 250 pound frame back upright.I’ve been driving standard shifts with no problem and working out the legs at the gym. As long as I don’t get in the full squat position it is ok.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

If you can find someone that runs Cat or Tachuechi(SP) Skid Steers and will allow you to learn on one, they are all joystick controls with a throttle lever or foot pedal like a normal car has. I believe all of them now have the options available. Piece of cake to learn to operate, take a bit of time to get the finesse down but easier than the older lever styles.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I have operated just about everything that Sunbelt rents. They are all basically the same. If you can operate a front end loader, you can operate just about any of them. Just play with the controls for about ten minutes and you will have it. Skid steer has pedals like someone else said, and btw full size excavator rocks. That’s the fun one to rent. Also, Sunbelt reps. are really helpful. If you rent one from them and have some knowledge, say a front end loader, they will walk you through the controls in just a few minutes. As far as certification, I have heard that on a few jobs I applied to a few years ago, but that was more for dozer GPS grading stuff. The sidework you want to do no one will usually ask. Hope this helps

Did you ever think about HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning). Most of the technical colleges in SC have a good classes.

ZX

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

Does anyone know where or anyone that might be able to help me get some operating knowledge of heavy equipment. Looking at backhoe, track hoe,bobcat and what have you. Have operated front end loader, construction and regular fork lifts. However for the last 33 years I’ve only worked on office equipment. Been out of work for almost 2 years now. Have some limitations as to the amount of manual labor I can do because of back and leg problems. Been looking but just don’t have the experience or time in for anything else. Now we are getting close to losing our home and behind on some of the other bills. Not looking or asking for a hand out, just praying for a chance to learn enough about operating some equipment so I might be able to pick up a job some where. Not expecting to make a whole lot of money all at once but maybe start around $10 hour and work up.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Coot, I can not think of anyone at this moment to give you the experience your seeking. I can say that the way describe yourself an excavator would be you best bet. The only time you need your feet is if you have to track the unit, and then all modern ones have extended sticks from the foot pedals that allow you to track by hand. The amount of abuse your back takes during a days work depends on how good you operate your unit. The better you are the less it jerks and bounces!

If you can get some experience $10 is a low bid, without experience getting the $10 to get the experience is going to be hard. Sorry man. If you could just start on a mini-ex helping someone just to get the experience then you could tell a perspective employer you do. They operate the same as the larger units.

Don’t rule out Driving a Big Truck, that area actually does have training schools that give exper

http://www.truckingtruth.com/schools/south-carolina-truck-driving-schools

There are 3 schools in N. Charleston.

Long before I got into heavy equipment, I would look at driving a truck. The money is MUCH better and a lot more work out there for CDL.

843-554-5555 boat rigger needed in summerville…

quote:
Originally posted by tanksgt

Did you ever think about HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning). Most of the technical colleges in SC have a good classes.

ZX

no offense to the suggestion but this is no career for somebody with range of movement health issues--trust me i know--been doing it for close to 20 yrs and it will give you health issues

84 HYDRA SPORT 1800SS
89 Yamaha 150
‘BAD HABIT’
89 TRACKER 17 TX
MERC 50
‘OL LEAKY’