Need an electrician

For the new Casa Busy.
I want to put a 100 amp subpanel in the detached garage. Breaker panel is upstairs in the house, so I think it makes the most sense to run a line from the main panel at the meter to the garage.

Anyone have someone they’d recommend?

TB, perhaps you would be better off just having your local utility pulling a service to your garage. Separate meter altogether.

Thats what I did years ago. Will be much cheaper (perhaps free) if its overhead vs underground as far as your utility running the service line to mast.

Also, ask, or go online and get a rate schedule/cost per kWh as the cost varies winter to summer and with usage. Example; after the first 650 to 1000 kWh used, the price can double during the summer months. May or June through the end of Sept. Again, depends on service provider. If you feed from same panel as home, all of the additional load through one meter would put you in the higher rate for the months mentioned.

My point is, the base cost for the additional meter is probably around 10 bux a month, that would be absorbed by the lower rate. Gotta do a little math for your kWh load for shop to see if lemon is worth the squeezing. Hope this helps. BTW, I’m talking residential rate here.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

NN, that makes a lot of sense!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

NN, that makes a lot of sense!

Thanks, Easy. I’m not deserving of that much:smiley:.

Some utilities will provide a 320amp meter base. It has a 200 amp feed for the typical home (not SJ kinda home) with an additional bus to connect a service to another load. Shop, garage etc. Its all through the same meter tho. You get it?

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Thanks
Time to ask some questions of SCE&G

Not sure the HOA Nazis in White Gables would go for an above the ground line to my garage.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Let me ask a question. What are you panning to run in this garage? A 100 amp 240 volt source is a lot of power. Unless you are running a welder or multiple pieces of equipment at the same time…

BTW: I am an electrician, problem is I have very limited time. If you are willing to install the cabling I can help you with the connections.

Too Busy, what’s the old saying about, it’s better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission! Besides, you can always blame it on SCE&G:wink:

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

Let me ask a question. What are you panning to run in this garage? A 100 amp 240 volt source is a lot of power. Unless you are running a welder or multiple pieces of equipment at the same time…

BTW: I am an electrician, problem is I have very limited time. If you are willing to install the cabling I can help you with the connections.

I have a welder that I’d like on a dedicated 30A circuit. Also a plasma cutter that gets a good bit of use that I’d like on it’s own circuit. To date I’ve had one or the other running. I’ll unplug one and run the other.

The two 20A 110 circuits to power miscellaneous stuff in the garage. I have a portable AC unit that I run when it’s crazy hot, a box fan that runs nearly all the time I’m out there, then drills, saws grinders.

I’m sure I could get away with a smaller service and not have everything going at once. I just thought I’d be better off doing it right one time and being done with it.

I can bury cable and completely wire the garage. I’m not doing rocket science out there, just building cars.

Ok well then a 60-100 would be in line. Most folks want to install way more than they really use.

Does tapping in at the main disconnect on the side of the house make sense?
I think the house panel would be a pain. House is on a slab, so fishing wire would be a chore.

a second service from SCE&G would be overhead unless you wanted to pay the incremental cost for underground, the service would be billed on Rate 9, $22.75 a month fixed charge plus about 13 cents a kWh

highly recommend extending a circuit from your house to power a subpanel, if I understand your current setup - you could install a main breaker adjacent to the disconnect at the house and run to the garage from there, it’s not technically difficult just labor

not sure about where you live but in Saluda County no permit or inspection is required if you do the work yourself, if you hire an electrician they would (should) pull a permit

if you’re in Charleston Gatch Electric is a great resource if you need help

Pioneer 197SF

“a second service from SCE&G would be overhead unless you wanted to pay the incremental cost for underground, the service would be billed on Rate 9, $22.75 a month fixed charge plus about 13 cents a kWh”

Dang it, BlueSky. Thats crazy high. As I said originally, depends on utility.

BTW, below is more like what I was hoping he would encounter and referring to.

WINTER - For the Billing Months of October through May
Basic Service Charge…$10.00
First 650 kWh…5.5747¢ per kWh Next 350 kWh…4.7817¢ per kWh Over 1000 kWh…4.6941¢ per kWh
SUMMER - For the Billing Months of June through September
Basic Service Charge…$10.00
First 650 kWh…5.5747¢ per kWh Next 350 kWh…9.2614¢ per kWh Over 1000 kWh…9.5712¢ per kWh
Minimum Monthly Bill: $10.00 Basic Service Charge plus Environmental Compliance Cost Recovery, plus Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery, plus Demand Side Management Residential Schedule, plus Municipal Franchise Fee.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/