Need New Cordless Drill/Driver

My 10+ year old Black & Decker cordless drill/driver has broken. It is repairable but the batteries are at less than half capacity so I’m looking at a new one. I was looking at Lowe’s because I have a gift card but, I saw a Ridgid set at Home Depot and it comes with free lifetime repair/service AND free replacement batteries. Can anyone share personal experiences with Ridgid products?

I bought this set years ago and love it…I know you’re asking about Rigid, but check this one out for the price…

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-4-Tool-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit/50353174

quote:
broken

figures

I use them daily. Cordless finish nailers, saws, multitools, drills, drivers, vacuum, blower etc. Milwaukee Fuel blows them all away.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I agree with salty about the Milwaukee, thats all we use at work. But, I have the porter cable stuff at home from Lowe’s. I have almost every tool they make and several of the big batteries also. Its good stuff for around the house, anx the price is right.

Just make sure you get a pair of the big batteries if you plan on buying any of the saws.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
figures

Hey, the drill is over 10 years old!

I’m pulling for Ricky in the cage match.

As to the rest of you, thanks. I liked the idea of free battery replacement and lifetime warranty but, I’ll definitely look at the other suggestions.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ve had the Porter Cable set from Lowes for over 5 years. Works great for home use except for the circular saw. Can’t beat it for the money.

Porter id good but so is Hitachi. I scour the pawn shops for the Hitachi products. I have never worn one out, but I ruined one in the rain! I like the locking collet hammer type.

The Porter Cable stuff at Lowes is fine, but if someone would give you free service and batteries for life, I’d change in a minute.
I have several Porter Cable tools, but none of them are battery powered. What I notice on my corded drill, hammer drill, sawzall is that they get hot as fire when I use them… but I work them pretty hard.

All of my battery powered things are dewalt because the batteries all fit each other and I first had their drill.

BG

Been using Ridgid battery tools for 12 years. They are great. Even the new batteries worked with my old drills/saws so I didn’t have to throw them out. I have a new 2 drill set I got about 3 years ago that also came with a little radio and two batteries. Still going strong with usual home use. The impact driver can’t be beat for screws.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Porter Cable was good 10 years ago. Got 3 circular saws that still work and have been abused. Their new B&D nameplate stuff sucks. I’ve already worn out one of their saws in 3 months and destroyed an impact and drill building one deck, Porter Cable is all I use to buy. Their belt sanders and routers use to be top notch, doubt I’d buy one now. They just don’t hold up as well as the old stuff did. The Rigid deal is good but their batteries aren’t what I’d consider quality, probably be just fine if you aren’t making a living with it. May also want to look at Bosch, their stuff is close to Milwaukee quality.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I’m not a contractor just a DIYer and I take care of my tools. I looked at a bunch of brands and was impressed with the Milwaukee stuff but not interested in spending that kind of money. Even looked at the Kobalt and thought their stuff looked pretty good and had good reviews. Black & Decker being the umbrella under which many are made seems to have cheapened some formerly well thought of brands. With that being said, the reviews on Ridgid and their repair/replace policy are, in my opinion, worthy of giving them a shot.

Thanks for all the input. As usual, I knew I could count on CF.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Just a heads up. Tools should drop in price this week, due the upcoming Fathers Day…

Check out Sears at Citadel. You might find a reasonable price for a brand name drill/driver. Note the emphasis on might. Sears is going out of business because they overcharged on everything, but with the closeout, you could get a deal.

Just don’t get their Craftsman brand.

j

Have alway used Dewalt in my construction business. But after retireing I need a cheap drill to keep in my boat and ending up buying a B&D a Walmart for $ 40.00 insted of buying a new battery for the Dewalt and it has served me well