need some help

I have been trying to catch a red on the fly… no luck. I have not tried in the grass but rather at low tide on the edges where they are feeding. I can cast to them but no interest. Is there too much bait at low tide on the edges? What colors? I’ve tried a lot of different flies - shrimp, crab, white chuggers etc. I’m thinking operator error but thanks for any advice

Make sure you wait long enough for the fly to sink—they are generally feeding downward. Copper metallic schminnow pattern often works well. Sometimes they are just not interested. Good luck.

Huck

17’ Spyder poling skiff
28’ Tidewater CC

Are you sure you’re seeing redfish? I’ve stalked many, many mullet, especially when I was first getting started. Even if they are reds, it can also be difficult to get the fish to see the fly, especially in muddier water.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18
Conchfish 178 build in progress…

It took me about 40 years to hook & land a Redfish on fly tackle. My primary issue was not enough time or opportunity to really target them. I had caught them on baits & on lures several times, but not on a fly.

Several years ago, a buddy called me & said they were in the grass every where near his house, so I went and spent a few days with him. I hooked & landed my very first within about 20 minutes of arriving, and almost from the edge of the roadway.

While I was there he & I tried along the river edge at low tide, casting to fish that we saw breaking the surface. can’t be sure they were Reds as bryson mentioned. We tried from shore & from a canoe, with no success. On one grass flat, we both caught & released Reds. We would get on the flat & wait for the tide to rise & bring them to us. It was like waiting in a deer stand for deer.

IMO, you have to spend plenty of time targeting them, and even more if you’re blind casting. On a grass flat where you can see them, easier to do, although not necessarily easy to hook & land them. I know that I spooked many more than I saw when fishing with my buddy. Your assessment of operator error could be the issue or as bryson said, you’re not casting to Reds.

My advice, is keep fishing, make sure you’re not pounding away at the water, but instead casting with purpose. When I was fishing with my buddy, and we were blind casting at low tide, I believe that some of what we saw were Reds, but we were spooking them. Can’t be sure, but that’s my guess. We tried a variety of flies too, but only success was in the grass.

thanks for advice. definitely casting to reds - big pushes, splashes and tails and bait jumping. skinny water. will try the grass…

Just a suggestion, as no idea what type of interest it might generate, but perhaps try a surface fly. A Gurgler maybe. I’ve known them to be caught on poppers & other surface flies, but have never accomplished it myself.

Like bryson said, it can be difficult to get them to see the fly particularly in muddied water. If they’re looking down, or even chasing baitfish, maybe a little surface commotion might divert their attention, since you say it’s skinny water. Might be worth trying as long as you don’t over do it.

When I’ve fished for bass in muddied water with casting tackle, I like to use a big, all black spinnerbait that has a very full skirt. This would be something like a 1 oz that can handle a big #8 Colorado blade. My theory is that it pushes a lot of water, puts off tons of vibration, and black seems to be easy to find in muddy water. It’s worked very well. It’s not a skinny water approach, but I have caught bass in less than a foot of water with such a lure.

There isn’t really a fly equivalent but I still like a big fly & all black in muddy water, ( for bass & I’ve found bass fishing & targeting Reds to be similar) although I don’t care to fish real muddy water with fly tackle too much. Not sure how to go about it for Reds in muddied, skinny water. I think I might try a black fly, that also has a lot of flash. I like gold, bronze & copper flash in such flies anyway. That would be contrary to what most might use for Reds in clearer water, but if they’re not seeing your fly, that might make a difference.

Just thinking out loud here!

What TYPES of areas are you finding them in at low tide? I haven’t been able to locate any fish to sightcast too at low tide, just on the floods. Thanks.

Lok for good mud flats on edges and short grass flats near the creeks and rivers. GO out at low tide and see where all the flats are and target these during rising or falling water, once the water comes up they will feed on grass edges and on those flats waiting to get intpo the grass and again as the water falls to catch food coming out. Mad Mikes Copperhead Crab is a great fly for muddy water and I have even tied up copper and gold clousers for muddy water.

Gheenoe LT 25
“Christie Belle”

www.theredfishchronicles.com

Can you still get MM’s Crab flies, anymore?

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Hank’s Nikon

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

Since the CA is gone I am not sure if he ties locally or you might be able to get them through Flymen or another fly company. Not usre if he sold the pattern. Talk to Simon at Haddlrells he may have some or be able to get them.

as for me… I just tie my own :wink:

Gheenoe LT 25
“Christie Belle”

www.theredfishchronicles.com

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

The Haddrells Fin and Feather in Mt. P has them. Mike dropped off a batch two weeks ago.

Yeah, Most of my patterns are sold commercially through Pacific Fly Group… but I also do custom tied orders. Fin and Feather in Mt. Pleasant just got a big order of CH crabs, M4’s, and some redfish sliders from me. Southern Drawl Outfitters in Hilton head also stocks some of my custom tied stuff as well.

Good luck out there.

Mad Mike

Just because you don’t like what I tell you, don’t mean it aint true…

I gotta drive all the way to Mt P!?
'Cross two rivers?
Times are tough.
Maybe I can get them to ship them to me.
I like Hadrell’s fine, but, 'do miss the crew at TCA.