Needed Gas Fireplace Guru

We haven’t turned on the Gas Fireplace in a few years.
Went to light it and the pilot light wont stay lit. I’m guess in the thermocouple has gone bad, but could use some help to be sure.

Need it fully functioning ans we’re putting Casa Samuels on the market in a week,

Hit me up here or cell
843 217 0271

Thanks
Tommy

Hate to sound like a smartazz but have you Googled “cleaning a thermocouple”? Mine would not light last year. After a Google search, I cleaned it and all was well. I just re-lit it last week, no problem.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

If DF, could fix his you should have no trouble:smiley: Never thought I would think of DF, when someone needed a Guru:wink: Just goes to show you not to judge a book by it’s cover:face_with_head_bandage::smiley: Now he’s going to grow a long wispy beard, wear Turban’s and long flowing robes. Man what is the world coming to! Hoda thunk it[:0]

That was uncalled for. I’m telling Peapod.

Tommy,

I had that same problem last season. Took the insert out and took it to a guy locally to check it out…he took a can of compressed air and shoot it inside…and then it functioned perfect.

If that pilot doesn’t stay lit, it can get little bugs/spiders up in there and block the flow of gas. Try that first. He said that’s the most common issue he sees with them when the pilots are off for any amount of time (a few months or more).

I agree with 23Sailfish. Every year I have the same problem. Take your air compressor and shoot some air into the pilot light for a few seconds. Then turn the gas on the pilot light for about one minute to allow all that air to be pushed back out of the line. I hold a lighter next to it and you can see the air pushing the flame and once gas starts coming it will try to light until finally enough gas is out that it will stay lit. I have used this process for the past four years. Like 23 said, bugs/spiders getting in there plus dust, it doesn’t take much to block the flow of the gas.

Thanks guys
Doug - I googled troubleshooting the fireplace. Seems there are 2 free fixes, then the ~$100 fix. Clean pilot, clean thermocouple are the free fixies. Replace thermocouple is the ~$100 fix.

Ricky &seasick11, thanks I hadn’t considered cleaning the pilot, but the flame does look weak with only 2 vents in the pilot burning.

I’m home today working on projects, so the fireplace fix is on the menu.

Thanks Guys

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Use Fine steel wool to clean probe , if you don’t have air compressor
get a can of compressed air like you use to blow out key board also check to be sure probe is aligned in pilot flame ,should be good to go !!!

Easy

You’re on notice.

He’s not to be picked on after the year he’s had.

Too busy where are y’all moving? Also doesn’t opti live in your neighborhood, finally get enough of the sketchy Neighbors?

quote:
He's not to be picked on after the year he's had.

Amen to that Brother!

Check back with me in 2017.

I’m sorry DF! I didn’t mean to point out your lack of mechanical skills! My bad! Again, Sorry:face_with_head_bandage:

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Too busy where are y’all moving? Also doesn’t opti live in your neighborhood, finally get enough of the sketchy Neighbors?

We’re downsizing, Plan to stay in the area if we can find what we want. Goal is 3br, 2ba, 2 car garage ~1700 ft^2 or less and not in a crap neighborhood.

Opti is a good neighbor. We see him from time to time when we’re out for a walk.

Sorry to see you go Tommy …
But I get it, really. PM me your new address when you have one

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

x 2 on compressed air to clean the pilot burner. We used to have a propane company, & I “fixed” tons of heaters/furnaces/etc. with just a good cleaning at the beginning of each heating season. Blow out the burner and all around the burner while you are at it.

On newer equipment with oxygen depletion sensor pilots, the thermocouple is small diameter and rarely fails because the pilot flame does not directly heat the thermocouple, but has a “pencil flame” that barely misses the thermocouple, heating it indirectly. If carbon monoxide builds up in the room, causing the oxygen levels to drop, the lack of oxygen causes the pilot flame to become weak, pulling the flame away from the thermocouple, which causes the control to cut off all gas going to the heater.

Older equipment had pilot lights that directly contacted a larger diameter thermocouple, shortening the life of the thermocouple. The older equipment did not have the oxygen depletion safety feature. The pilot flame should be blue with at most a small yellow tip. If the pilot flame is lazy and solid yellow, it needs cleaning.

When you get the pilot light to stay lit, let it burn a few minutes and then blow it out. If the room is quiet, you will hear a a click or thump as the thermocouple cools and the gas control closes gas to the pilot. Then try to relight the pilot without pressing any buttons. If the “cold” pilot relights without pressing any buttons, the gas control is unsafe and needs replacing.

There are many other safety checks, and a service call from a professional is well worth the cost.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Casa Samuels is on the market.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.
I cleaned the pilot and all is well. thermocouple and thermopile working properly. Can adjust flames from very low to very high. I can almost hear the gas meter whirring outside when it’s turned up on high.