Neiman Marcus sells out of $66 collard greens side

Neiman Marcus’ annual “Christmas Book” has become well known for its extravagant, over-the-top gift items that are largely unattainable for most holiday shoppers.

There are plenty of fancy food items—usually caviar tins and plenty of gold-leaf-encrusted sweets—but this year, one food item went viral for all the wrong reasons.

The luxury retailer is serving up a side dish of collard greens, a cheap leafy vegetable that’s a staple of Southern cuisine and soul food restaurants-- for $66. With a shipping fee of $15.50, the grand total of four 12-ounce trays comes to a whopping $81.50. To its credit, the upscale department store says the dish will serve up to 10 people, so that comes out to about $8 a serving. (A pound of collard greens that can serve about four people retails for less than $3.)

So what makes Neiman Marcus’ greens so special? According to the website’s description they’re “seasoned with just the right amount of spices and bacon.”

Many Southern food chefs were shocked by the dish.

“The food that was considered poor people’s food, or Southern food, or black food, is now being advertised and sold by a luxury brand,” Nicole Taylor, author of “The Up South Cookbook,” told the Washington Post. "I‘ve heard people from the South say that they were ashamed that their family cooked collard greens.”

As word of the pricey greens hit the Internet, the social media sphere had a field day with the “overpriced” side.

Neiman Marcus will now be selling collard greens for $66 plus $15 dollars extra for shipping! There must be GOLD flakes in those greens!

— Radio 103.9 NY (@Radio1039NY) November 2, 2016

Also…yes I saw the $66 collard greens. My recipe costs less than $15 to make & won’t get you cursed out. https://t.co/cZrxqE4BBn

— The Kitchenista (@MissAngelaDavis) November 4, 2016

They “better taste like unicorn tears and Prince’s bath water,” #gentrifiedgreens https://t.co/tnuYIag5Yt

— Don Willis (@dew_socio_logic) November 3, 2016

Some even accused the retailer of appropriatin

Remember what P.T. Barnum said.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Remember when you didn’t even see chicken wings in a store? Now they are 3-4 bucks a pound. I ate a blue million growing up.

Good gracious! Only in America! Maybe I can go full time in the collard growing business!! Think I’ll just stick to giving them away.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Blue Marlin in Cola has the best around hands down…

RBF

Hogjowl , black eye peas , and collard greens , my familys New Years
dinner for over 70 years and a staple year round , watched momma can them by the wagon load. At that rate i’ve probably eaten thousands of dollars worth of collards[:0][:0]

George McDonald ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

For dessert, try these, good stuff. Made them not to long ago, but, my mixing arm now looks like 23’s left arm. Grating a Hershey bar is a challenge as well. My first and only attempt at making cookies.

NEIMAN MARCUS COOKIES
(Recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla;
mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder,
and soda. Add chocolate chips, grated Hershey Bar and nuts.
Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

Man, I get pissed off when you pay $1.50 for a small bunch of scallions in the grocery store! I often thought of buying 25 acres of sand and grow nothing but scallions at that price!:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

RBF

You just haven’t had mine yet…

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

RBF

You just haven’t had mine yet…

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Let me know when and where…:smiley:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant for the commercial cooked ready to eat collards…

RBF

I’ll sell you some!

Available at Walmart:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I’ll sell you some!

Available at Walmart:smiley:

Fast cars, fat chicks, and canned collards… I like your style…:smiley:

RBF

To keep the strong smell out of the kitchen try throwing in three or four whole pecans. Doesn’t change the flavor but knocks out the “fart” smell. :smiley:

I know many people that won’t cook them because of the smell! I love me some collards with Wileys greens seasoning. Can find it at Wally World or on line. The Corn Boil seasoning is fantastic.

Talking about greens fixing to go out and plant some carrots, kale, collards, and turnips I’d take Kale over collards.

http://unclewileys.com/index.php/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,6/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

To keep the strong smell out of the kitchen try throwing in three or four whole pecans. Doesn’t change the flavor but knocks out the “fart” smell. :smiley:

I know many people that won’t cook them because of the smell! I love me some collards with Wileys greens seasoning. Can find it at Wally World or on line. The Corn Boil seasoning is fantastic.

Talking about greens fixing to go out and plant some carrots, kale, collards, and turnips I’d take Kale over collards.

http://unclewileys.com/index.php/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,6/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

The ones worried about the smell probably don’t fry fish in the house either.

Man, if you don’t like the smell of collards, don’t cook kidneys. My parents used to cook them for a dog. Talk about stinky!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Or chittlins

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Or chittlins

you can wash them and literally boil the sh#t out of them and they still smell like dookie. IMO. Never say never, because I’ve never been that hungry… but I ain’t eatin chitlins. A mud fish… yes.

quote:

Or chittlins

With vinegar and pepper. Frying shad whole until they were black. Hams hanging in the storage. Sweet mercy I had a good life.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Or chittlins

With vinegar and pepper. Frying shad whole until they were black. Hams hanging in the storage. Sweet mercy I had a good life.

nothing wrong with shad… that’s a saturday fish… take your time and enjoy a whole morning picking the meat away from the bones.

Chitlins are the worse things I think man ever decided was food. I can eat almost anything, and have, but the smell of chitlins cooking send me to the next county. My grandmother used to cook them, prepared from a fresh killed hog, washed the intestines…ugh, I headed for the fish pond. Could smell them 2 miles away [:0] I’d have to be starving. Even then I might just starve to death instead.

Now collards are something else again. Love the smell of collards boiling with ham hocks. At those prices we probably have a 100K worth on the hoof:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper