NEW here, and to REDS

hey guys, im new to the forum. this forum looks great and i hope to spend a lot of time here.
Now for the good stuff. Im 42 yrs old, live in Goose Creek, and own my own business. I have pretty much been a BASS fisherman since i was 19, maybe a few bream every now and then, but mostly JUST bass.
I gave up fishing about 15 yrs ago and started a family, 4 kids, 4 dogs. Now that the kids are older, im getting back into it. Just went out and bought me a little 14’ jon boat, and started fishing in a little 5 acre lake nearby. I AM LOVING IT. Ive also been to Goose Creek Res. a couple times with my father-in-law, that place is great too.
I have been watching videos and reading stuff here in the forum about REDFISH. i REALLY want to get into this. It looks like a great fight, and a lot like bass fishing. Problem is, i don’t know where to go. If you guys could tell me a few spots where i could put my Jon boat in the water and get to some REDS, that would be awesome. i don’t expect yall to give me your hotspots, just some general information. Hopefully i can upgrade my boat next year. The economy sucks right now, so i’ll take what i can get. Thanks in advace guys, and im glad to be in the forum.
Shawn

Hi Shawn
Bushy Park landing is off of RedBank rd just past the Weapon station. Launch there on the saltwater side and explore the creeks around and including Yellowhouse and Clouter.
The main Cooper river has limited access due to the sub and navy base there. Look on google maps to get oriented with the area. Use cut bait on a carolina rig and just explore creek mouths, docks, oyster or rock structure, fallen trees. Try either side of low tide. You will get reds sooner or later.
Welcome to the site and post your reports!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”

thanks for the reply. i have been to the landing there, and wondered whether it would be a spot to launch. i will give that a try, thanks for the info.

Shawn, Also do a search on ‘Bushy’ on this site and you will get a wealth of info

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”

Shawn,
+1 on Bushy Park. Also go to a few of the tackle shops like Haddrells and Chas Angler and get to know some of the guys there. They are a wealth of knowledge. Also spend about 20 bucks on a hot spots inshore map. It will serve you well.

REELIN N DEALIN II

Welcome bro. The best way to find reds are by finding structure or anything that looks like a good ambush point. FM (finger mullet) or live shrimp always work for me. +1 for tcrank go talk to the people at the shops they have a lot of info they can give you to get you started. good luck bro

1995 keywest 172 2001 115 mercury
fish nude so u can show off ur pole…

my4wildkids,

If you don’t mind, let me know how the advice is. I just moved here and am in the Navy. I do not have much time for the exploring different places, but would like to relax with some fishing on the weekends when I do have time.

Dan

Dan Hanley

The saltwater side of Busy park is a good place to start and close to where you live. We live in Summerville and would rather put in there than anywhere else. Try the creeks near the landing and upriver also. There are many spots up near the power lines where both largemouth and spottail bass can be caught. The water is brackish up there but the reds and flounder don’t seem to mind. In a bass tournament a few years back we were catching reds, flounder, largemouth, and stripers in the same spot. Last weekend there were a lot of spottails caught in that area. Good Luck.

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

Have a question for those that frequent Bushy. I live in Hanahan, and have thought about putting in there but never have. Is there plenty of deep water to get in and out of there at low tide? Also, is it pretty easy to find live bait that far up?

On a normal dead low tide there is about 12"…on super low tides approx. 6". If you have over a 16’ boat you should plan for 2 hours on either side of low tide. We like to fish the falling tide, so we are usually fishing 2 hours either side of low. Last weekend, 2 hours before low tide, the depth was approx. 1.7’. We can handle that fine as we only draw about 12" up on a plane, but it gets a little scary sometimes. We’ve seen a lot of larger boats get stuck trying to make it out or in. Just plan your trip around the tide and you will be fine.

PioneerLouie
Summerville, SC

Here’s a couple of fine Bushy Park Reds that were caught recently. My wife’s was 20" and made for an awesome dinner. Mine was 25" and is still swimming…but was a great battle around the pilings with 12# line.

I know the photos give away the location to the locals…but they all know the spots too. If you can find it…go for it! It is less that 2 miles from the landing. You won’t be disappointed if you catch it on a good day. Falling tide is best.

PioneerLouie
Summerville, SC

Thanks Louie. I have a 21ft. center console, so low tide sounds like it won’t be doable for me. Nice pics!