New kayaker

I am looking to get a kayak within the next 2 months, I am looking at a sound 10.5 precision kayak. Any thing I should know about saltwater kayak fishing? Any advice or tips are helpful. And also, should I look for a small anchor to?

That kayak looks solid to me just make sure it’s self bailing because it would suck if it wasn’t and you kept getting waves in your kayak, also I would get one of those kayak wheels to roll it to the water if your gonna fish by yourself. A kayak anchor can work good but if there’s a lot of current or waves it can screw you over and flip you but if your fishing the shallows and if you want to stay in the same spot you could use a stakeout pole, it also might be a good idea to have dry bags in case you flip and lastly when your fishing beware of afternoon thunderstorms, you don’t want to get stuck somewhere on the water in one of those. Good luck man

DeeZ

quote:
Originally posted by Ed27518

That kayak looks solid to me just make sure it’s self bailing because it would suck if it wasn’t and you kept getting waves in your kayak, also I would get one of those kayak wheels to roll it to the water if your gonna fish by yourself. A kayak anchor can work good but if there’s a lot of current or waves it can screw you over and flip you but if your fishing the shallows and if you want to stay in the same spot you could use a stakeout pole, it also might be a good idea to have dry bags in case you flip and lastly when your fishing beware of afternoon thunderstorms, you don’t want to get stuck somewhere on the water in one of those. Good luck man

DeeZ

Thanks for the help, I am new to the term “self bailing” what exactly does that mean? And I just plan of fishing small creeks along the Ashley river so I’m sure a stakeout pole and small trailer system would help. I keep a lot of fish also, would you recommend a small cooler in the back?

Evant T.

Test paddle one first. You can rent them at Time Out Sports. A 10.5’ kayak is a bit small. Just don’t want to see you buy something and want to upgrade it after a few trips.

If two wrongs don’t make a right, try three.

I would recommend a cooler on the back because you wouldn’t want any interesting incidents with any sharks with a stringer…and self bailing means that if water gets in the boat it drains out by itself usually via holes in the bottom, this is a feature usually seen in ocean kayaks, but I think you’ll be just fine with that kayak Especially if your fishing the creeks. Self bailing kayaks usually get you wet because water is constantly coming in and out through the holes

DeeZ