New Miracle Metal Repels Water

A boat made out of this metal would definitely need less power to propel it through the water. You might even need to rethink a means to stop it once it got going, like a parachute.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/metal-water-bounces-hydrophobic_n_6516318.html

That’s pretty spiffy. If they are able to apply the technique to other materials other than metal, you might be able to ‘wrap’ your boat hull with the stuff. It’d be like skimming on ice. :smiley:

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Thats my Alma Mater (U of R Institute of Optics)

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

I bet it ain’t going to be cheap, that’s for sure. Up to an hour to etch a sq in of metal. Would be cool to do a Jon boat with the bottom etched like that.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Interesting. Being that the boat doesn’t actually ride through the water it displaces, i bet there would be air bubbles between the boat and the water. Need someone with a degree in fluid dynamics to get in here stat.

quote:
Originally posted by mcvlbound

A boat made out of this metal would definitely need less power to propel it through the water. You might even need to rethink a means to stop it once it got going, like a parachute.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/metal-water-bounces-hydrophobic_n_6516318.html

Who said such craft do not already exist? You have to wonder that if something like this has already hit the Internet where has it already been applied? Comprende???

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

If you wrap your boat in this, wouldn’t you really have a water hover craft

what if the boat simply displaces so much water that it sinks in the hole it has created by said dispersion? pretty stupid technology if you ask me…which I know you didn’t :))

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

what if the boat simply displaces so much water that it sinks in the hole it has created by said dispersion? pretty stupid technology if you ask me…which I know you didn’t :))

Lol, that crossed the brain here but there is still an air cavity in a boat. If that were the case every ship made of anything more dense than water would sink.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

quote:
Originally posted by DrumReaper
quote:

Lol, that crossed the brain here but there is still an air cavity in a boat. If that were the case every ship made of anything more dense than water would sink.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I was talking about a boat that had all compartments vacuumed…THAT boat would sink :))

So basically the worst boat ever made? haha

If you lined the inside of a PBR can, when you open it, the beer would explode out so you could drink it faster

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was talking about a boat that had all compartments vacuumed…THAT boat would sink :))

Lol, I suppose it may if it did not have vacuum-sealed fiberglass compartments containing injected foam, which would contribute to positive floatations.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8

If you lined the inside of a PBR can, when you open it, the beer would explode out so you could drink it faster

+2

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol, I suppose it may if it did not have vacuum-sealed fiberglass compartments containing injected foam, which would contribute to positive floatations.

the vacuumed compartments are filled with dark matter…geesh, do I need to draw y’all a picture?

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

I Would be cool to do a Jon boat with the bottom etched like that.

Only if you had no care about what direction you wanted to turn. :smiley:

I doubt it would really make a huge difference. Most likely less drag, but?there would be still enough to turn.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

How would you wash it?

Make a Submarine out of that stuff and do away with the screws. Put a propeller on it and go 1,000 MPH. Or torpedos!

The boat wouldn’t sink…it’d sit on top of the water like this:

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC