New roof

Ok, so I just switched homeowners insurance and they are saying we need a new roof. Not sure if we have 30 days or what, but how is anyone supposed to come up with that much money to come up with a new roof. I could refi or get an equity loan but that would take a few weeks as is with the lawyers and all. Any suggestions? How do you all get around this easier?

No one has been in this situation??? Really?

I had our insurance company come out unexpected and I had to cut a couple of bushes back that they said were rubbing the house. I also had to state that my “ornamental” fire pit was never used.

Usually with insurance companies there is not a lot of “getting around” with them. Try as you and I may they win in the end.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Check and see if an inspection and letter by a registered professional engineer or architect can have that deferred. I bet it can. If so, get back to me and I will see what I can do.

Narcosis

Thanks for the replies.

When we bought our house, our insurance made us get a new roof too. We bought sometime by letting the insurance company know in writing that we were shopping around for a new roof. I think we had 3 months to get a new roof installed.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

i have a couple contractors i could send your way if you need a quote

Some roofing companies also have the ability to arrange financing. While you are at it, see if your insurance company offers discounts in your wind and hail premium is the roofing is installed to SCDOI SafeHome standards.

Thanks for all the help everyone, got two quotes today and a third one coming Thursday. Hopefully between the three i can get something figured out. Just wondering if they already inspected it,(from pictures mind you) if I can claim hail or wind damage now or not and just pay deductible.

I have never heard of anything like this before.
Did the new insurance carrier say you needed a new roof before or after you switched to them? And what justified their saying you needed a new roof?

You are just talking about shingles, right:question:

P-K…They approved our new homeowners policy and then sent a notice after the fact saying we need a new roof. Then a cancellation letter followed saying we need to have this done or cancellation will follow. New one to me.

Easy…yes, just shingle roof. Been shingled twice already so everything has to be scraped. I can come up with 3K but now looking into a loan looks like between 6K and 8K

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

Check and see if an inspection and letter by a registered professional engineer or architect can have that deferred. I bet it can. If so, get back to me and I will see what I can do.

Narcosis

That is your answer until you can put a roof on. It however usually just needs to be a licensed contractor, inspector or roofer that writes the letter.

Also without know all of the details there is no way to say for sure but the fault could lie with the agent. When dealing with an older roof an agent should always notify the carrier of its age and then relay any potential issues the insurance co might have prior to binding.

The only thing they stated was that " the dwelling roof has granular loss, lifting,missing shingles, and is in need of replacement.

In another section it says that "You are hereby notified in accordance with the terms and conditions of the above mentioned policy, and in accordance with the law, that your ins. will cease at and from the hour and date mentioned above (April 11th) this was mailed to me on March 3rd.

So I have to come up with a new roof by then? Just seems unacceptable immediately after they accepted and covered us for cars as well as homeowners.

quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

Thanks for all the help everyone, got two quotes today and a third one coming Thursday. Hopefully between the three i can get something figured out. Just wondering if they already inspected it,(from pictures mind you) if I can claim hail or wind damage now or not and just pay deductible.

If you are contemplating insurance fraud you should probably not
post online about it.

These new insurance contracts are just a licence for them to steal from you! They don’t want to pay unless it’s a total!

jphil…I am not, just trying to understand what I am dealing with. I have never been in this situation before and am trying to get some guidance as to what I am supposed to do, that is all.

As an inspector, I am finding more and more insurance companies that do not want to cover a 3-tab roof over 15 years old. However, I would take exception to a company writing the policy and immediately requiring the roof replacement. Call SCDOI and see if they can offer some assistance in slowing the process down.

Fishengr…Im not familiar with this,SC Dept. of ? Not sure what they help with but any would be great, just not wanting to get my lawyer involved if this can be figured out simply.

BTW thanks for everyones input on this, hope I can help someone on here in the future.

South Carolina Department of Insurance, they govern all insurance companies that offer insurance in the state. I am not promising they can help, but at a minimum your voice can be heard. There is a local office in Charleston.