New to area (Goose Creek)

Hey,

I moved here from Maine because wife is in the Navy. I know nothing about fishing down here and was hoping to get some pointers on where I could go. I mainly bass fish and sometime fish for trout. I am open to learning how to catch others. I don’t have a boat so I’m looking for some shore fishing spots (if that is possible due to gators).

I look forward to your response/s.

Nomad

Hey Nomad,

There is lots to learn about and lots of places to explore in Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester Counties. Gators should not be that big a concern unless you like to take your child or dog with you on your trips. Start in your own neighborhood. The subdivision retention ponds can be a good place to start and focus, right now, on early morning and late evening. Learn to fish plastic worms; floating, sinko style, and texas rigged in these smaller bodies. Good bank fishing sites for fish other than catfish are always over-used, with the exception of maybe some of the Forest Service ponds, which at times you can have all to yourself. Get a Management area map from the DNR,office in Bonneau off hwy 52, or look at the Francis Marion Forest service web site to find some of these ponds.

Maine…It’s going to be quite a change. Water, bug spray, and avoid fishing from 1000 to 1900 hours.

A canoe wouldn’t be a bad idea either…gets you away from the heavily fished areas.